New Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted Yahoo search engine in Chrome

Has anyone solved the issue of the unwanted Yahoo! Search Engine? This appeared uninvited in my copy of Chrome, replacing Google. Regardless of what I do in the Chrome settings I cannot get rid of it. Using Windows 7 32-bit. I have seen various similar complaints around the web, but no real solutions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I may, I would like to reply to my own question. It turns out that Google has told other companies that provide browsers with start pages that they cannot provide the Google search engine as their default search mode. Thus Roboform, whose start page I use, has changed to Yahoo! Search. There was just no way I could get back to Google, even when using Chrome. Bizarre? Regardless, removing the Roboform start page solved the problem. I have gone back to it now that I understand the problem and, on it, have a link to Google search. I avoid using the Roboform start page's own omnibox as it just brings up Yahoo. Ugh!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't have that problem at all with Firefox.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    This is why I avoid using Start Pages, especially Google's very own Start Page. You can get just about everything you need into Bookmarks or Favorites and have a truly open Google Search Box (or the Google Apps Page) to greet you each time you launch Chrome. Or you can start with a Blank Page.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having same issue with PasswordBox. My Chrome settings show the correct home page yet I get PWB's start page, which is powered by Yahoo!. To me Yahoo! is Ha-useless. I could live with it if I could customize the buttons on the
    start page but there seems to be no way to do that. Their support says the setting is within Chrome but I think they're full of it. I like the app but it's too frustrating to keep. Hoped I'd found the answer here but, unfortunately, that doesn't work in my case.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you dislike it that much why stick with Chrome? FireFox is just as good and lets you choose any search engine you want.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    If you dislike it that much why stick with Chrome? FireFox is just as good and lets you choose any search engine you want.
    My issue has nothing whatsoever to do with Chrome other than Chrome is my preferred browser. My comment was in relation to this thread topic which is: A 3rd party "app", that is in itself useful but, which hijacks your preferred start page with its own. The app's start page uses Yahoo! for which I have absolutely no use.

I was a major proponent of Firefox for years until it went to version 5 (I think) which constantly crashed on every computer on which I foolishly installed it. I spent the better part of a week getting everyone switched over to and adjusted to Chrome as a result. Firefox burned me and I'm done with it. You can have it and welcome to it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    If I may, I would like to reply to my own question. It turns out that Google has told other companies that provide browsers with start pages that they cannot provide the Google search engine as their default search mode.
    That explains it!

There is almost nothing on the Firefox start page except for a large search box in the middle, but recently, no matter what one types in the box nothing happens, not even a Yahoo search engine. It's necessary to use the drop down list beside the address bar. And I was thinking the Firefox page was corrupted.

Strange that curiousclive has no problem here, unless he has always used the drop down list to access Google.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    That explains it!........
    Strange that curiousclive has no problem here, unless he has always used the drop down list to access Google.
    That's what's so irritating about the start page I'm contending with-there's no way to customize it. The closest I can get to Google without typing it in is a button for Google Maps.

Anyway, glad the mystery is solved......Thanks!!