New Lounger
    Thanks

IE10 offered but KB2670838 not

Ms. Bradley's most recent PATCH WATCH (newsletter paid version 3/14) contains a section entitled "IE10 offered but not automatically installed". Indeed, when I checked Windows Updates that is what I discovered. However, I am NOT being offered KB2670838, which Ms. Bradley says is necessary for the installation of IE10. She states that its likely I need a new graphics driver. I went to the MS Support article 2670838 and did not find my hardware. (I have an HP G72 notebook). I checked the HP site for my graphics driver - I have the current one. While I do not yet intend to install IE10 (following Ms. Bradley's advice) what should I do when she gives the install OK? Why would Microsoft offer IE10 but not the update necessary for its successful installation?
    Any guidance or advice will be much appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 10 for Win 7 - not

KB2670838 is a pre-IE 10 upgrade required for some components of DirectX for Win 7, and Windows Imaging Components. Reports are this KB is not compatabile with Firefox, and some video cards. Use with great caution till Ms. Bradley has given her blessing. Your HP G27, if it is 3 years old, may not be too compatible with IE 10 without certain HP BIOS and/or video updates. For now, I'm passing on IE 10. (running Win 7 64 bit) As for why - Microsoft is pushing Windows 8, and will worry less and less about those of us who chose not to upgrade.