Thread: logging on

Thanks

logging on

hi

anyone know how to remove the necessity to click my acct when booting xp pro sp3. i am the administrator

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Use SysInternals AutoLogon.

Thanks
    sorry, i should have said: its just a configuration problem i cant sort.....didn't need extra software before with same os

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    This not software that needs installation. Download it, execute it and throw it away, if you want to.

Thanks
    have used this os for years and don't recall ever having this trouble before, surely im just missing something.

i read this but do not understand how it works....what does " encrypted in the Registry" mean?

thanks

Autologon enables you to easily configure Windows’ built-in autologon mechanism. Instead of waiting for a user to enter their name and password, Windows uses the credentials you enter with Autologon, which are encrypted in the Registry, to log on the specified user automatically.
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-17 at 16:13.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you added another account or some software added another dummy account for its use or you activated the guest account then it will halt at the acct. login. If its just the one account, I dunno why it would suddenly start stopping there without a passworded account.

I always have a dummy account to sign into if mine is corrupted for some reason, so I use the auto login routine built into windows, though it does require a passworded account.
    Just open a run box and type in control userpasswords2, highlight your account if not already, uncheck the require password and enter your credentials for that account upon exiting.

Thanks
    that did the trick....any idea why i couldn't find that control through control panel> user acct's?. would be good to know for next time

thanks

also, do u recall the advice u gave me several days ago for the DVD not recording problem, as u can see from my last post its nearly fixed in that it now has the "recordable" tab, [i have "enabled recording on this drive"] but windows keeps saying there's no disk in the drive and CDBurnerXp still wont see the drive. is it a bios setting thats wrong?

copied from other post:

in registry i put a "2" [for cd-rw] in "drive type" [it had a 3].

in the registry the item that was 2 lines above "drive type" is named "default reg sz", I may have changed its "value data" to "nothing" when i was messing with it, which is what it is now, is this correct?

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-18 at 06:11.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm only familiar with deleting upper and lower filters in the registry when there are recognition problems. You may have run across this already. Autodetection in the BIOS is all that is necessary there I think.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

qaz (2013-03-18)

Thanks
    sorry i don't understand that but have tried the power fix on that page but it cant install the power shell , for last3 days it says "try again later" does that mean it a download fault?

thanks

Thanks
    hi

all is well now, it was a faulty dvd drive

thanks for the advice

mark