3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spell checking with sub and superscripts (Word 2000 (9.0.2720))

Is there anyway to get Word (and other Office products) to recognize a sub or superscript and to skip the spell checking for those items?

I'd also like the spell checker to skip e-mail addresses. It seems like it should be able to recognize an @ in the middle of a word and skip that word also.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spell checking with sub and superscripts (Word 2000 (9.0.2720))

Hi Cathy:

To avoid checking internet addresses (http etc.) & email addresses, go to Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammer & tick the box that says "ignore Internet & file addresses". That should work for part of your problem.

Also, if you have ticked Tools/AutoCorrect/AutoFormat as you type/Internet and network paths with hyperlinks, you can go into Format/Style & choose the hyperlink style. Then choose Modify/Language... Tick the box that says not to check spelling (I actually forget whether it says to check or not to check spelling as I'm not in front of Word 2000 right now, but you get the idea).

For superscript & subscripts, instead of applying direct formatting to letters, create a character style (not a paragraph style) for each. Set the language so that it's not spell checked, just as you did with the hyperlink style above.

Hope this helps.