Lounger
    Thanks

You can Group text but not Ungroup it?

A recent thread said how to protect text by selecting and Grouping it. I have used this but I notice that after I Group something, Group is grayed out so you can't Ungroup it. I don't know how to get around it. Anyone?

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry - I was trying to ungroup a table with text in it all at once. It turns out that if the text alone is selected, Ungroup is available. If you want to get rid of the text and the table, first select just the text, ungroup and delete it so that the table is empty. Then ctl-X removes the table. If the table has more than one cell, apparently only whole rows can be grouped or ungrouped. This needs some experimentation before one can use it confidently.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think this 'feature' is anything more than an oddity that wasn't fully thought out. But it may have some valid uses.

One way to get rid of the locking is to use VBA to remove the content control that is surreptitiously added by using the group command. The line of code that works is something like
    Selection.Range.ContentControls(1).Delete

Another way to remove it would be to save the file in doc format.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    It acts a bit oddly, as if it wasn't quite finished as you said, but it's the most convenient way that I know of to protect parts of a document. My problem is/was that some of my tables have layouts and character types that are too complex and varied to be conveniently assigned to styles. When the file is written out and read in, some of these tables have been changed behind the scenes. There should be a style that says, "Don't change anything about this." Lacking that, I will gladly put up with Grouping. As I said in my previous post, there is a way to ungroup, although it's slightly inconvenient. Thank you for your suggestions.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, grouping does not completely prevent changes. It allows automatic (unwanted) changes to the indents in numbered list in tables. I have tried defining styles for the different indent and spacing formats but they act inconsistently and do things I don't understand at all. The problem is (still!) that if I set up a table carefully and write the docx out and read it in, the indents are changed. There are other oddities but the main problem is unwanted format changes. I doubt that anyone can solve this without seeing the document (or part of it - it's huge) but any tips will be appreciated.

Steve Gray

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Grouping the text would stop you editing the content but is not going to isolate the formatting of that content. This comes from a variety of places but mainly from style definitions which are outside of that protection.

If your styles are changing when you re-open the file then it is likely that your attached template is set to 'automatically update document styles'. Turn this setting off in Developer > Document Template.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Andrew -

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. The automatic update box was already cleared so that may not be the reason, but I'm going to explore the matter further.

If I may impose a bit more, I see that sometimes the table I'm working on is surrounded by a double outline and it can't be selected. Also there may be a little anchor symbol. What are those?

Steve

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Tables are 'normally' placed inline in a document.

However, it is possible to also float a table either by choosing a positioning option in the table properties or by dragging it around the page (using the crosshair icon in the top right). Floating tables allow you to wrap text around it but make the layout more complicated than I generally like. A floating table must be anchored to a paragraph and so that would allow you to see the anchor (if your options allow it).

It is also possible to place a table inside a text box or drawing canvas either of which could be responsible for the double outline you are seeing. Again, these objects could also be floating and hence could be made to display an anchor.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

MrBip (2013-03-21)