2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why does Windows Update install KB2789643 every day?

On my Windows XP Professional system, Windows Update keeps installing KB2789643 every day !! There are MANY reports of this problem on Google, but I have so far not found a solution that actually works. The answers and comments from Microsoft in various forums are incomprehensible. I tried both of the suggestions at:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-2bc1abdf0f2a/
    but they didn't seem to help.

I did notice that this problem seems to be related to .NET Framework, and my PC has the following programs installed:
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    I don't know what any of these programs are, but wonder whether any or all of them should be removed.

Can anyone explain the problem of repeated installation of KB2789643 and provide a foolproof solution? Thanks !!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's very common to have all those .NET versions, and each one MAY be needed by some program you have installed; so I wouldn't remove them unless you find no alternative.

Try Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool; This tool detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework.

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

speedball (2013-03-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce, I tried the repair tool that you mentioned, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Meanwhile, I checked the "Show Update" list under "Add/Remove Progams" and discovered that KB2789643 has NOT been installed. In fact, there have been only two updates since 2/14/2013 and neither one of them was KB2789643.

But when I run Microsoft Update, the only High Priority Update to be installed is KB2789643, which (it says) has already been downloaded, but not installed. So it seems clear that KB2789643 is sitting here on my PC but it either doesn't install or else the history or log file is not updated properly to indicate that it has been installed. Any further ideas about what to do? Since this problem seems very common (on Google) I would think that somebody somewhere has solved it.

Thanks !!

Thanks
    You can try downloading it from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=273914
    and install it manually.

If that doesn't work, the issue has been linked to corrupted 'net installs. The solution is to uninstall all .net versions and reinstall .net 3.5 from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=21

Then run Microsoft update again. If you find a program that needs an older version of .net, you can reinstall that version as well.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions, jwitalka. However, nothing has worked so far.
    I downloaded the patch manually and installed it but the update is still there.
    Then I removed .NET Framework 1.1 successfully, apparently .
    But when I tried to remove .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2, I received the error message:
    MS .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 cannot be uninstalled because it will affect other applications that are installed. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91126

When I go to the link mentioned above, the content displayed is incomprehensible to me so it is no help.

Meanwhile, KB2789643 continues to appear along with the Update shield in the task bar, apparently without downloading it each time.

I am wondering if the KB2789643 patch file is stuck on my PC somewhere. If so, where would it be, and would it help to delete this file if I could find it. Do you know where these patch files are stored before installation?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks for any further suggestions.

Roger

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    delete the unistall directories and the patches for those you keep getting reminders for from your directory. The log files are not read by anyone but you. It looks for the uninstall dirs to see if it is there. That worked for me. Also, it took two or three attempts for all the framework stuff to settle out correctly...