Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

High temperature...?

A few weeks ago, my trusty 5 year old Windows Vista pc started having boot up problems. Despite my best endeavours, I could not fix the problem and so our local computer shop gave it a full hardware test (which it passed 100%) and then reloaded Vista. Since then it has been working ok again and generally runs all day without a hitch.

However... occasionally it reboots itself (once) during the boot up sequence and so I though I would just check the voltages and temperatures using CPUID Hardware Monitor. The result is attached, as you will see, and TMPIN2 appears to be rather high at 76-78 degrees C.

Can anyone please confirm whether this is too high and, if so, what the problem and solution might be.

Many thanks,

V
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Delta View Post

Can anyone please confirm whether this is too high and, if so, what the problem and solution might be.
    V
    Hello..... I have booted up my Vista OS SP-1 and have made a few screenshot of my temps ...I think that the "Pin2" temp is insane using HWMonitor I have an ASUS Mother-Board and have shown my temps ..Also i let my PC off for a bit to let the Temps come down and the "Pin 2 " temp is still showing high ... Think that in my case HWMonitor is not working properly ... at this point i can't say why..I'll look at updating it and posting back with some info after having been off overnight. Regards Fred

PS: Does the PC do this from a cold start ? or only after it has been on and you Re-Boot?
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-03-19 at 18:35.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Victor Delta (2013-03-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred, that's very interesting. Also, are your fans really not running (0%)?

As regards the boot hiccup - yes, when it happens, it's always from a cold start.

V

PS I get the same temperature readings from Speedfan, although I know some users believe HWMonitor is more accurate and reliable.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

PS I get the same temperature readings from Speedfan, although I know some users believe HWMonitor is more accurate and reliable.
    V,
    Hello... I just updated to HWMonitor 1.21 and it now shows a different screen ...My fans are all running ( All 5)

Now as far as you "Boot Problem" If it is happening from a cold start ...would eliminate the "over-temp" aspect ... This could be another "Temp Problem" ...like a connector is not properly seated or some other loose connection. poor contact etc. ...Have a look see , also try re-seating any Video card, memory , etc. See my new HWMonitor 1.21 screen shot you can get it free here... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You say the computer shop gave the PC a full hardware test, then reloaded Vista. Did they actually open it up and clean out the accumulated dust bunnies, etc.? I would also perhaps reseat all the connectors, Ram, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    V,
    Hello... I ran the "Old" v1.16 HWMonitor ( cold start) this AM and it gave the same "Bogus" readings for "Pin2" and some other readings ...

Conclusion: HWMonitor in my case gives erroneous data ( old versions 1.16 ) and wouldn't trust it. Newer versions seem OK ...Think that i will purchase the "Pro" and see what the difference is ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    76-78 degrees C looks a bit high to me. It also looks like a motherboard temp, Northbridge maybe[??]
    Verify temps from within your BIOS too.

I would open up the case and have a good look at the area. Take static precautions and place you finger
    on any heatsinks associated with the board. Then look at a schematic diagram of your board to see
    specifically where the temp is originating from.

Of course too, and this is something to keep in mind, temp sensors do fail on occasion and you can end
    up with a sensor that is stuck. I have one that is stuck at 128 C.

The cure for a hot Northbridge is to place a small fan on it.
    Perhaps take a look at your cases overall cooling effectiveness.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-03-20 at 10:33.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions, which I will follow up. By the way, moving the pc and 'tapping it' doesn't trigger rebooting so I doubt there are any loose connections?

However, situation seems to be getting worse as, for the first time, today the pc has randomly rebooted itself 3 times in the last 5 hours.

Is there any programme I could be running which would create a data log at the time of such reboots to aid diagnosis?

By the way, on HWMonitor (Fred, I'm already using v 1.21) I notice the voltages are fluctuating all the time - not by a large amount (<0.1v) but nevertheless not static. Again, does this provide any clue...?

Thanks,

V

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I notice the voltages are fluctuating all the time - not by a large amount (<0.1v) but nevertheless not static. Again, does this provide any clue...?
    V,
    Hello.... This could be a clue that either the PS is failing or one of the power supply connectors or wires in the connector is not making proper contact.. If you can follow.... the Power supply connectors to the mother board and (while the pc is off) remove them have a look for loose wires and re-seat the connectors.... also check the motherboard screws ...i had a problem with the "MOBO" not making a proper ground .... Regards Fred

PS: do you have a spare Power supply that you could swap out ?
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have swapped the two RAM cards over and checked for loose connections everywhere but all seems OK and secure.

I haven't got a spare PSU unfortunately. Is there are way I can prove the PSU is responsible for the problems?

I've also had a look at Event Viewer but there are so many entries I'm not sure what I should be looking for!

Thanks again,

V

PS Meanwhile, occasional reboots continue...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't got a spare PSU unfortunately. Is there are way I can prove the PSU is responsible for the problems?

PS Meanwhile, occasional reboots continue...
    V,
    Hello... Question .... With the HWMonitor on my "rig" all the power supply voltages are stable with the exception of CPU VCORE changes about + - .2V ...Which ones (or one ) is changing voltage on yours? As this sounds like a problem that's power supply related. I would try to make it fail by "Stressing" ( moving or putting pressure on) the power supply connectors and components while the PC is on ... Also look for any "Bulging" capacitors as these can "go resistive" with age and load the power supply making it unstable .

My other thought is that if this problem (re-booting) only manifested upon the return from the shop... likely caused by something that they have done ...like bending a pin on the CPU if they reseated it applying heat sink compound, etc. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Victor Delta (2013-03-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred

Many thanks for your patience! In answer to your questions and suggestions:

Voltages - yes, my main mover is CPU VCORE which varies between 1.216 and 1.376v. However several of the others fluctuate a bit, particularly +3.3v which alternates between 3.392 and 3.408 virtually every second. Stressing and visual inspection of the PSU have not indicated anything untoward.

Shop - don't think they did anything wrong as this problem only manifested itself about 2 weeks after leaving their tender care!

Since your last post, I've also tried a hardware stress test using BurnIn Test but this hasn't thrown up anything .

Consequently, after many more random reboots, I've now decided that perhaps the computer has wasted enough of my (and your) time and, being 5-6 years old, deserves retirement. I've therefore decided to treat myself to a new Windows 8 laptop. By coincidence, it is my birthday later this week!

Thanks again for all your help,

V

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Consequently, after many more random reboots, I've now decided that perhaps the computer has wasted enough of my (and your) time and, being 5-6 years old, deserves retirement. I've therefore decided to treat myself to a new Windows 8 laptop. By coincidence, it is my birthday later this week!
    V,
    Hello.... One final thought ... There is on most PC's a "Reset Switch" Even if its not connected ...it's on the MotherBoard... If yo do have a reset button somewhere ...could be faulty causing re-boots ... Can't say don't know your PC well enough .... Happy Birthday Regards Fred
    PlainFred

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is normal for power supplies to deviate by +-10% during operaion. A heat problem is usually caused by dust. examine the heat sinks to ee if there is dust buried in the fins sometimes very hard to see if the slots are small. look at all paths into and out of the case for dust. if there are open cell foam filters remove them, wash and dry and reinstall them. check under the MOBO for trapped dust bunnies, use a blower outlet on your vacuum cleaner and a corner nozzle to completely blow out the cabinet and fans. Blow out the power supply housing also. Make sure there is room around the cabinet in the hole you put it into in your desk. set up a room fan on the outside of the cabinet (tower, desktop) and see of supplying lots of airflow helps. if it is under a desk check for dust there too and plugged vents on the desk.
    Take it out on the patio and see if it gets better. Freeze spray will help isolate hot components.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to philomel For This Useful Post:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks,

V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast