lschuldt

Large Mailing Lists (Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000)

Hi,

I'm the systems administrator for a membership organization with about 4000 members. We would like to be able to create mailing lists of all of our members and some subsets, ex. committee members. The problem is that Outlook will not let us build large distribution lists! Also, we'd like to find a way to import a distribution list from a text file.

Does anyone have a way to do these two items? Paid software is OK, it doesn't need to be free.

Thanks,
    Larry Schuldt

Thanks

Re: Large Mailing Lists (Outlook 2000/Exchange 2000)

If Exchange will not do what you want, have a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mdaemon.com>MDaemon</A> - our mailserver software.
    Some companies use it purely as a list-server - list sizes and numbers of lists I'm (99%) certain are unlimited - i.e. you can buy the licence for the smallest number of users but have a mailing list for 100,000. My understanding is that if your ISP will support it, you can send a single mail to them and they crack the mailing list for you.
    Building a list from a .txt file is so easy even I managed it.
    Latest version has support for LDAP and a plug-in for virus scanning from Kaspersky. It can also be run in conjunction with Exchange if necessary.
    Support is well above average, with the author regularly on line responding to problems.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If your distribution list is in a text file properly formatted (email addresses on one huge line separated with semicolons), you can just copy/paste it into the BCC line and ignore all the Outlook contact and distribution list stuff.

To do create a long address list within Outlook, initiate the email from the contacts folder.

Use categories to divide your contact list as needed (e.g., member, exec committee, recreation committee, etc.). Remember that a contact can be in multiple categories (e.g., both member and exec committee). Select View by Categories in the contacts folder to group the listing as needed. Custom views would be convenient for frequently used groupings.

Select all of the contacts to get a particular mailing. If the list is long, click on the first and then shift-click on the last. If the list is extremely long, set up a custom view and select all (ctrl-A).

Then choose

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Importing a contact list from a text file into Outlook is easy. The text file must be properly formatted but there is a lot of flexibility. Each contact must be on it

lschuldt

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me... One of my lists is over 5000 names. There's a limit to the size of the to and bcc fields, copying and pasting into these fields just isn't feasible. I'm looking for a way to get a couple 5000 name lists into Outlook/Exchange as distribution lists, then we can send out e-mails to our organization's membership.

Thanks,
    Larry

lschuldt

Good, this works well. I can import my list of 5000 e-mail addresses into a contact folder, but the system won't let me pull all of the addresses into a distribution list. Instead it only takes 165 addresses. Is there a way around this limitation. We're almost there!

Thanks,
    Larry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried this in Outlook XP with a long (5,240 entries) list of dummy email addresses. If I selected too many (2000 worked, 3000 failed) and tried to create a message, I got an "out of memory" error. I could select a thousand, generate a message to those addresses, select another thousand, generate a second message, copy the address list from the second to the first, generate a third, copy, etc. Tedious but I did get all 5,240 email addresses onto one BCC line. I was able to save this message (ballooned to 2MB!). I didn