Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to delete files mistakenly copied in cloud backup

Did a restore from my cloud backup (Mozy Home) and selected "make a copy with a new name" as I was restoring just a few images I'd lost and wanted to be extra safe.

For some reason, the restore started to restore ALL my files and had done quite a few before I realized it and stopped the restore. The good news is that I did get my lost images back; the bad news is that I now have hundreds of duplicate files on my PC. I went into Pictures and deleted all the copies there individually but it took forever.

Is there a way to do this more efficiently? Files that were copied all have a (1) beside them. I found a program called WinMerge while searching online for an answer, but wasn't sure it is designed to do what I need done.

Any input would be much appreciated. I sure hate the thoughts of doing with all my files what I did with the Picture ones!!

Linda

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Linda,

??Could you do an index search in each folder for " *(1).* " (without the quotes, of course)?? Then, verify the dates of the files (under "details" view), and delete all with the date in question.

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, that sounds workable, Zig. I did remember (but not well enough) something about using those *s to search, but I obviously didn't use the correct combination when I tried it!

To confirm, I enter *(1).* - just like that - in the search box for documents and any other possible folder location and they should pop up?

To save you having to reply, now that I think of it, I'll go and try that exact thing and post back ...

UPDATE: Okay, I first tried just typing it into the Search box for the whole of My Documents, but it just brought up anything with the number 1 in it. I reread your message and tried going into each separate folder in My Docs and, ta da, that worked! It brought up all the (1) docs which I then deleted.

QUESTION Is that the method you meant? It will be lots faster than scrolling through thousands of documents one at a time, that's for sure!

Thanks,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-03-20 at 18:07. Reason: Added update

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Could install "everything" then when do that it will list every file with a (1) at the end in one search without having to browse to individual folders.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2013-04-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clive, that sounds even better. I followed your link and downloaded "Everything" because I was only part way through my deletion via the first method and your program sounds as if it will be even faster. Not yet sure how to do the search, but am off to read their help files now.

Thanks so much! I'll post back re. success/issues (if any).

UPDATE and QUESTION: Duh, I'd forgotten the second * when I typed in the Search box. Once I did, the program brought up 2 locations. Can I delete them from the program (couldn't find out how in their Help) or do I click on them to go to the location on my computer and delete them there?

Me again: must be doing something wrong since there are still (1) docs in My Docs when I checked. Better read more on how to use the program. Maybe you put My Documents*(1).* in Search? Lots to learn!

Once more: I keep coming back because I'm finding out new things as I do this. I was checking My Documents using the * method without clicking on individual folders inside it and it seems to be bringing up all the (1)s! Not sure why I don't have to click on individual sub-folders as I did before or why all of them didn't show in Everything, but I'm happily scrolling and deleting dozens and dozens at a time!

SUCCESS! Not a (1) left that I could find. Thanks to both of you for your help. I need more time with the Everything program, Clive. It seems the asterisk idea worked fine the second time around: I just inserted it in the search box for the main folders (My Docs, My Pictures, My Music, etc.) and it listed all the copies for easy deletion.

One thing I did notice: when you do this, be sure the file has the correct one in parentheses! I noticed that lots of files with the number 1 in them came up as well so sure glad I looked before deleting!

As a further P.S., discovered the trick in Mozy to restore just certain files. You need to go into settings and enable "restore queue" otherwise it restores everything. Who knew?

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-03-20 at 18:43. Reason: Update and Question Added

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Everything was probably still indexing when you were using it early on so not everything was showing up initially. You must be using Windows 7 he said guessing; indexing is a fine idea but implementation leaves a lot to be desired; so as usual, third party software is significantly more able but it needs a bit of time to make it's own index. Also, you would not have had (or at least should not have) a problem with a non-indexed, granular XP-style search either given the very straight-forward parameters and locations.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-03-20 at 19:08.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I never thought of that and likely didn't give it much time. Yes, you're right: Windows 7. I tried the program again with just a client name and, wow, every instance of it appeared as if by magic. Think I'll keep the program installed for future use.

Not sure what
    a non-indexed, granular XP-style search
    is, but think you must mean the one with asterisks. You're right again, because it did find all the copies.

As I've said before, this Lounge is better than any course I've ever taken as far as practical learning is concerned ... and that's thanks only to the great people who hang out in here and are SO generous with their knowledge (not to mention patience!).

Linda

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Linda,

Glad it worked for you.

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Linda
    your welcome
    Another trick with Everything is to not have it open with a long list when you launch and have not entered a search. To do this follow the next instructions:

Click on "tools > options>view" then tick the option "hide results if search is empty". Then Everything will launch with an empty box till enter your search details.

I use this program as it far faster than windows search and will find anything without having to be in a particular folder when searching like windows search.

HTH
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good suggestion which I'll implement right away. I've used Everything several times already and it's wonderfully efficient at finding things that may not be filed where you thought they were! Thanks so much for telling me about it.

Linda

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    it's wonderfully efficient at finding things that may not be filed where you thought they were!
    Precisely why I use Picasa, its my sic-dog when it comes to images, and even videos.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aha! I have heard of Picasa, but never tried it as I just don't do much with pictures. Had not realized it would search, however, so will now check it out. It is great not to worry about having misfiled "stuff"! Thanks for the heads up.

Linda

Thanks
    A really good freeware program to find and remove duplicate files is Auslogics Duplicate File Finder . It's safe and reliable, and free. Pretty good user interface, too. What's not to like?
    -- Bob Primak --

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! You're right, Bob ... it looks perfect, and free besides. Thank you so much for the suggestion and the link. I will be downloading it right after posting this!

As an aside, Everything has already found files Windows search couldn't. It's great to have a second option when the panic hits because you think you've lost a presentation you just spent a whole day creating! Phew.

Linda

P.S. It's amazing! It just found 123 duplicate files and put them in the Rescue Center. Can't believe how it's done something in seconds I've been trying to get at for years! Thank you SO much for the suggestion.

P.S.2 Have just gone through the list of files to delete duplicates and noticed 2 things: first, it's a bit tricky for a non-techie to know which ones to delete safely (aside from those with the exact same paths); second, the program saves your deleted files so, if you mess up, they're still there in the Rescue Center. That is a great feature for those same non-techies!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-04-04 at 19:00. Reason: Added PS with results; then, a second one.

Thanks
    You can also thank Lounge members by clicking on the little "thunbs-up" icon at the extreme bottom left of the gray or blue bar ata the bottom of our posts. Not a requirement -- just glad to help.

As for deciding which duplicates to remove and which ones to leave alone, I'd stick with only deleting obvious copies of my files, photos, and other stuff I know I placed onto the drive.

If I delete files which appear as duplicates and I did not create them, I too-often manage to delete a copy of a file which is part of a program. Especially in 64-bit Windows, programs often copy files from their original locations into new locations. Without going into too much technical detail, these copies are often needed for the programs to run correctly.

So be careful with removing duplicates, unless you know you created those files in the first place.

As you noted, even if you do mess up a bit, there's always the Rescue Center to restore those files which should have been left alone.

All in all this Auslogics program, and their defragmenter, are free programs which do very useful things we never knew we could do so easily.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-04-06 at 13:41.
    -- Bob Primak --

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2013-04-06)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast