Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good advice, Bob. That's just what I'd found: some of the files looked almost exactly like ones I remember creating, but were not in paths I would have used. Your explanation is helpful. To be safe, since it's the first time I've tried the program, think I'll go into Rescue Center and be sure only definitely self-created files were deleted!

Thank you ... again!

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Follow Up Question re. Auslogics Settings

To be safe, I restored everything I had deleted before reading your advice about exact file matches.

Question: What settings should I select?

This time, I checked both on the "Ignore File Dates" page and unchecked file size (default 1 MB) so program would check all files. Or am I better to stick with program defaults for both?

Want to make best use of the program without overdoing it!

Thanks,

Linda

P.S. Yikes! With the settings I chose, it just came back with over 22,000 duplicate files! Of course, there's no way I can go through that number to make the correct decisions so I must have messed up. Any suggestions most appreciated!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2013-04-09 at 12:48. Reason: P.S. re. results of new scan.

Thanks
    Again, you have to decide which file types you normally create, and I think you can restrict by file type what is shown. Also, unless you want 20,000 old files to show up, I'd stick with clearing out the most-recent files, say within the last month or so. After that, maybe go back month by month for as far as you have the patience to do. All of this should make the number of duplicates found more manageable.

If you want to find only duplicate photos, for example, you know what file extensions are usually used (.jpeg, .gif, or several Raw Formats) and you could search for duplicates of just those file types.

Another way to get rid of unnecessary duplicates which are not your own files, is to do a Windows System Cleanup with CCleaner's "Cleaner" module. This may get rid of a lot of clutter so that you can see what you really want to deal with.

As you can see, it's very easy to overdo it when using a duplicates finder.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-04-11 at 15:55.
    -- Bob Primak --

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions, Bob. Need to spend more time with Settings and clarifying what duplicates to look for. Despite years working with PC's, guess I still kind of expect them to know what I want without my having to tell them!!

I also like the idea of going most recent to less so as well as specifying file extensions. Will also run CCleaner, a program I do know (although, once again, it makes me nervous and I sure stay away from any registry cleaning!!) to tidy up a bit before I start.

Thanks again,

Linda

Thanks
    Good plan, Linda. Let us know how it turns out.
    -- Bob Primak --

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I sure will. Hope it can help another "new to duplicate file finder programs" Lounger!

Linda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12