New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help for freezing mouse

I am having a problem with my mouse suddenly ceasing to work. The laser stops.
    I have Windows 7 and am using a Logitech MX518 mouse. All the drivers are up-to-date.
    I have a Microsoft 4000 keyboard.
    What happens is after using the computer for a certain amount of time (this seems to vary randomly), the movement of the mouse starts to become erratic.
    Sometimes the pointer on the screen follows mouse movement, and sometimes it freezes for a varying period of time. Moving the mouse rapidly side to side will usually fix this (or I guess it could just correct itself after a short period. My frustration causes me to rapidly move it side to side).
    After another bit of time, the mouse goes off, i.e., the laser goes out. It is completely dark. This does not correct itself. The keyboard still works, and I have been able to restart the computer, and the mouse works again.
    Today I tried reseating the USB connector for the mouse, and that worked to restart it.
    I guess I could have a bad cable or broken USB motherboard connector, but it sure seems like some sort of software problem.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ctansr; 2013-03-19 at 14:07.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think your USB port may be going bad. I had one of mine do that and now it doesn't work at all. Luckily I have two more. Another thing that may cause it is your USB plug-in being jiggled. Our dogs will jump up in the chair with me and I will have to reset my mouse. Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks

RE: Need help for freezing mouse (possible solution)

Well, I finally think it is fixed. I replaced the mouse. And I replaced it with a Microsoft compatible mouse, a Microsoft comfort 6000.
    This way, if it was some sort of incompatibility between the Microsoft keyboard drivers and the Logitech mouse drivers, they will be resolved, since it is Microsoft everything.
    It has been running fine for the past three days, no freezes. So I don't know if it was a bad mouse, a bad mouse to computer cable, a bad USB connector (on the mouse cable), or a software conflict, but replacing the mouse has fixed it. If it was a bad USB connector on the computer-side, it would not have been fixed.
    So no in depth analysis, but the damned thing is fixed.

Thanks
    It's more likely that the mouse, or some component therein, has gone bad.
    You will not need a 3rd party software driver for a mouse unless you have some very specific functionality needs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.