Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 random lock up

WINDOWS 7 RANDOM LOCK UP

Hello, I am having a problem with my windows 7 computer where it will spontaneously lock up, being unable to response in any way. Nothing works, except to restart my computer. This will happen even when it is asleep. It has been going on for a handful of months now (since last summer) and it is getting very frustrating. Typically it will happen anywhere from every 3 to 4 days to a few weeks in between.

I checked my event viewer, and the following errors have come up since the last lock up:

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
    A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the iphlpsvc service.
    The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the LanmanServer service.
    A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the IKEEXT service.
    A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
    A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the iphlpsvc service.
    The server {1F87137D-0E7C-44D5-8C73-4EFFB68962F2} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    The server {4EB61BAC-A3B6-4760-9581-655041EF4D69} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Since the beginning of last month, I noticed several of the following errors:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS.

I have a 64-bit version of windows 7 installed. I booted the computer for the first time during the summer of 2010.

Also, since January of 2012, I had to replace the RAM cartridges as well as the hard disk drive.

I run defrag (default windows), a registry cleaner (wise registry cleaner), and malware bytes on a routine basis.
    Not sure what exactly is going on here. I'm not much of a computer technical person, but I use one a lot. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge,

You appear to have a hardware problem, possibly motherboard/network card as well as hard drive. They may all be caused by a faulty PSU. Without substantial testing/swapping out, it'll be down to luck and guesswork. Do you have access to another computer that has compatible parts for testing?

Backup any vital data now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My parents have a computer of the same make and model, only it was purchased about a year after I bought mine. I do not believe they would want me fiddling with it, however.

I do have a thumb drive that I can use to back up some vital files.

Back when I bought the cpu, the first time I turned it on it gave me a BSOD. Since then, it hasn't really done that more than twice.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, are you patient with sick hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by Energyflux2012 View Post
    My parents have a computer of the same make and model, only it was purchased about a year after I bought mine. I do not believe they would want me fiddling with it, however.
    As parent and grand parent I'd say you better not... ;-)
    I do have a thumb drive that I can use to back up some vital files.
    You 'should' do that anyway and regularly!
    Back when I bought the cpu, the first time I turned it on it gave me a BSOD. Since then, it hasn't really done that more than twice.
    That was the pointy in time when you should have returned the machine for a warranty exchange!

All this sounds like you have a combination of hardware and software problems. If you still can claim warranty do it before the warranty runs out.
    Other than that a new machine seems to be in your near future.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been fighting exactly the same problem! During months of troubleshooting, I have changed every board, memory, and CPU. Playing with the CPU's,I suddenly lost one of the dual cores. I replaced the CPU - same thing. However, it HASN'T locked up since! (2 months) Except it is VERY slow now. Working on how to change mobos with win 7. Win 7 doesn't like changes such as this! Is there any way to put this Win 7 hard drive in a different computer, without a complete reinstall? I have years of files that I don't want to lose!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright so, I have backed up what I needed to on my cpu.

Could the motherboard be the only thing causing the problem here? If worst comes to worst, I'd rather salvage what parts I can for my future cpu.

Is there any way to put this Win 7 hard drive in a different computer, without a complete reinstall?
    You could always try to back up the install on disk right? Otherwise, maybe an external hard drive would work. Good to know I'm not the only one out there having this problem.

Other than the random lock ups, my cpu runs just fine. As of this August it will be 3 years old.

And yeah...I should have done something when I got that BSOD, but I was desperately in need of a personal cpu to use for my school I was planning to attend.
    Last edited by Energyflux2012; 2013-03-21 at 14:29.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by micker View Post
    I've been fighting exactly the same problem! During months of troubleshooting, I have changed every board, memory, and CPU. Playing with the CPU's,I suddenly lost one of the dual cores. I replaced the CPU - same thing. However, it HASN'T locked up since! (2 months) Except it is VERY slow now. Working on how to change mobos with win 7. Win 7 doesn't like changes such as this! Is there any way to put this Win 7 hard drive in a different computer, without a complete reinstall? I have years of files that I don't want to lose!
    You could do a drive image saved to an external HDD. ('Easeus-to-do' is a good third party one ) Then with a new HDD (or the original HDD reformatted) you may be able to restore the image to the disk (using the restore disk created in Easus-to-do program before hand) if the hardware drivers are not too different. (probably OK if replacing Mobo with same model as drivers needed are likely to be similar)

A very good idea to backup any files you can't afford to lose to an external disk so can replace them if a clean install becomes needed.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-03-21 at 14:33.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    WINDOWS 7 RANDOM LOCK UP

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS.

I have a 64-bit version of windows 7 installed. I booted the computer for the first time during the summer of 2010.
    Energy,
    Hello... Did you try from an elevated command prompt the sfc /scannow.. ( System File checker ) ? This will repair any corrupt files.

Did you run chkdsk /r ? this will repair any "bad's" on your HD ..(Run from elevated command prompt as well)

Also i have had Freeze problems of several kinds with "7 \ 64 and 32" as well ..... waking from sleep ( PC not me...OK sometimes me) That is caused by Norton 2013 NIS solved by reverting back to 2012 NIS

Another was my graphics (Nvidia ) reverted to an older version 197.45 and changing the "Manage 3d settings " and setting all to "Prefer maximum performance"

Just my 2 Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-03-21 at 14:54.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do any of you have an SSD as your hard drive? Many SSDs from 2009 - 2012 have freeze/crash/BSOD problems. A software/firmware update from the maker's website may fix the problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

All my comps have SSD as boot drives with the OS on. I have never had any problems whatsoever with any of them (Crucial and Corsair SSD).
    The only drives I have had fail were all standard platter drives which is why I changed plus the massive speed increase).
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-03-22 at 06:23.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Energy,
    Hello... Did you try from an elevated command prompt the sfc /scannow.. ( System File checker ) ? This will repair any corrupt files.

Did you run chkdsk /r ? this will repair any "bad's" on your HD ..(Run from elevated command prompt as well)
    No I haven't, I'll have to look into that next. Though, I've never done it before so I'm unfamiliar with the process.

Also i have had Freeze problems of several kinds with "7 \ 64 and 32" as well ..... waking from sleep ( PC not me...OK sometimes me) That is caused by Norton 2013 NIS solved by reverting back to 2012 NIS

Another was my graphics (Nvidia ) reverted to an older version 197.45 and changing the "Manage 3d settings " and setting all to "Prefer maximum performance"
    Well, I don't have Norton (I use Avast and PC Tools Firewall). I know that my video card is dated, being an ATI Radeon HD 5670.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried an Acronis backup from my ext. drive. Didn't work. Experimenting with a " clone" copy drive. Started with a clean install of Win 7. Ran fine. Installed the Acronis backup - won't even boot to a "blue screen"!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    No I haven't, I'll have to look into that next. Though, I've never done it before so I'm unfamiliar with the process.
    Energy,
    Hello..... Go to start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt> Right click.... and "run as Administrator" When the screen opens input the following.....

sfc /scannow This will take a bit .... When finished re-boot and see what happens with freeze problem

Next try would be the same procedure ...only this time input ...... chkdsk /r This will take along time but will "Repair" your HD ( moves bad sectors) Post back with any questions .... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Energyflux2012 (2013-03-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, so the sfc /scannow came up with nothing.

The chkdsk /r could not be run because 'the volume is in use by another process', so I choose to have it run when it next restarts. That too came up clean, though it did not take a long time, rather like a few seconds?? (both were run as administrator)

Not sure what that means. Thanks for the help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The chkdsk /r could not be run because 'the volume is in use by another process', so I choose to have it run when it next restarts. That too came up clean, though it did not take a long time, rather like a few seconds?? (both were run as administrator)
    Energy,

Hello.... Sounds like the "chkdsk /r" did not run as it should ...no way that it would only take a few seconds. Try this again, also what is the size of your HD that you're trying to run this utility on? .... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast