3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face suggestions / advice on AV/AM applications pls.

hello everyone;

at this moment i'm using Vipre internet security 2013.

i'm close to the time of subscription renewal, and would like to hear from this forum, comment & or suggestions (NOT asking for recommendations), about the other programs (Sophos, Kaperski, etc).

my Google search gave me opinions dated July 2012, but i'm actually looking for something MORE recent.

thank in advance for your help and guidance.

daniel rozenberg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As previous releases by the same manufacturer, Vipre was born lean and became quite a huge beast. Stopped using it a long time ago.
    Moved first to MSE and then to Emsisoft AntiMalware. It runs two scanners, which offer the opportunity to catch even more malware. Comparatives show it has among the highest detection rates of current AV solutions. It also features a behavior blocker, which means it is effective even against malware for which it does not have signatures. Very happy with it.

Thanks
    I have been using AVG AV 2013 since installation of Win 8. AVG has both a free version and a paid version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you gentlemen for you replies.

daniel rozenberg.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    maximum pc just reviewed such products

i would use the current norton whizbang program which rated a TEN - $80 up to 3 pcs
    along with mbam=malwarebytes - $19.95 +/- depending on sales incentives - to clean out what slips by norton
    win patrol plus
    spyware blaster
    and whatever freebies microsoft has to help scan and remove

spyware search and destroy did not work well for me last week when i tried it although i loved the older version

bit defender was a second choice in the mag with a NINE - $80 up to 3 pcs
    eset smart security six also got a NINE - $60 for ONE PC

kapersky 8
    avast 8

mcafee 7
    trend 7 - i had one older program from trend that did zero for my pc
    zone alarm 7 -

microsoft essentials SIX !!

check wikipedia for all the threats
    you may need something to clean out rootkits should you get one

sometimes you need special removers
    few years back cool web search got by everything and required a special tool to remove

i really dont care about phishing or spam as i just delete those things
    and dont want the pc slowed down, or them throwing away an email that i *DO* want by mistake

Thanks
    I will never consider Bit Defender again. It really messed up my PC a couple years ago, and was constantly nagging me about one thing or another. Plus it was a resource hog at that time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Keep in mind that it's not the date of the review that counts, but the edition being reviewed. Many reviews in 2012 were for 2013 editions; most labs have barely started reviewing 2014 products. I looked at the features of Vipre Internet Security 2013 and don't see anything all that special about the product. For the antivirus/antimalware function you can accomplish the same thing with a free product (see list at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...lware-software). The cleaning feature can be handled through the browser or with a free product like CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner). The antispam feature should be handled by your ISP. As for the two-way firewall, if you're accessing the internet through a limited account, rather than the administrator account, Windows embedded one-way firewall is adequate. If you insist on a suite, check first to see if your ISP is offering anything for free. Lab test results differ from lab to lab, since each uses different procedures, but I like PC Magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369749,00.asp

Thanks
    I have Vipre Internet Security 2013. One thing I really like about it is the Easy Update feature, which updates the apps on my computer.

It's probably not the best antimalware, but I'm paid up through 9/27/13, so I'm staying with it for now.

Thanks
    I'm running Windows Defender as part of Windows 8, but I'm also using the latest version of the free MBAM as a form of 2nd opinion.
    As well as the above, it is equally important to have a solid backup regimen in place, although I've never actually had to use it
    to restore from a seriously infected or broken operating system.

Along with all of the above, it will be highly helpful for any user to know what is/and what isn't running on his/her system at all times.
    In other words, one should have a pretty good idea what abnormal network activities are taking place both by periodically monitoring network activity
    and the feel of one's network responsiveness.

So get to know your system and all the applications installed really well.

If your the kind of person who is constantly experimenting with different software every second Tuesday, then you should either have some form of virtualization going on, and or a very reliable backup regimen. Preferably both.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.