Thanks

Reserving Drive Letters for SDHC cards

I have a SDHC card with files that are then pointed to by scripts / batch files on my hard drive. The issue is the letter that is used to designate the SDHC card/drive.

If I leave the card inserted, then the assignment "sticks." If I remove it though, the letter might be grabbed by any number of software apps.

Is there a way to permanently reserve a drive letter for the card? I know it can be done for USB drives, but can it be done with cards? If that is not possible, will the card wear out if I just leave it installed?

Regards,
    Charles Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Charles,

Take a look at this; USBDLM V4.7.1.0 - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I have 2 HP computers which have card readers installed at the factory. Each type of card has its own letter when I open Windows Explorer. I used the Disk Management console to change these letters to later ones in the alphabet (e.g., Drive E to Drive K).

2. Another thing I have done is changed my DVD drive to the letter R:. Any program or procedure which needs to access this drive is set up with this drive letter.

3. Both of these changes make it less likely that Windows will change the drive letter assignment.

4. The card won't "wear out" if you are not writing to it and even then it takes a large number of write cycles before any problems develop. Leaving it in does leave it susceptible to power surges, accidental formats, accidental file deletions, accidental file overwrites, etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

card readers usually are assigned fixed drive letters even if no card is inserted. So long as the card reader is not removed or unplugged these letters are reserved for the card reader.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Diskpart can be used to assign drive letters to card readers.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    RG, that might just work.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Clive, that appears to be true -- except for my Epson Workforce 845. It has a card slot in it, and that slot gets a random [next available letter]assignment at printer install. That assignment CAN be moved, but it can also be a pain to do. I did find that right-clicking on that drive, once assigned, shows a "Sync" in the context menu, that is [I guess] for syncing files offline [on the hard drive?] to the memory card built into the printer. THAT seems to lock in the assignment of a letter. Also the letter assignment can be moved via "network assignment" but it's a bit clumsy, and I'm not certain it normally stays put if no card is in the slot. I know that it cannot be changed without a card inserted.

Thanks
    The Epson card slot didn't show in Disk Management when I looked. I had thought of that since I seem to recall being able to do something of that sort with flash drives.

Chuck