New Lounger
    Thanks

[FREE] alternative to XP

.just read the Windows Secrets advice regarding not using XP forthwith, what free alternatives are there out there please? Regards Mat G
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dont know
    cant say

but they will have to pull xp out of my cold dead hands before i let it go

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat Green View Post
    .just read the Windows Secrets advice regarding not using XP forthwith, what free alternatives are there out there please? Regards Mat G
    That first suggestion is rather draconian. The other two suggestions have much more merit. Lots of people are still running XP without any malware problems.

As to free alternatives, probably the best suggestion is Linux. That's a whole different world, though.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mat,

If you follow a standard multi-level approach to security, e.g., Good AV tool, Good Anti-spyware tool, Good software firewall, Good link scanner to keep you from clicking through to bad sites, and a Router with both SPI and Hardware firewall, you should be able to use XP until you need new hardware for which you can't get drivers for XP or software you need that won't run on XP for some reason, then you're stuck with Linux or upgrading Windows. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I still boot to XP on another drive because of some programs there that won't run on 7...But, in the near future I probably will just be done with it because I have upgraded a few programs to run on 7 that only ran on XP.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat Green View Post
    Windows Secrets is not suggesting this, the "chat-pal hacker" is.
    Are you sure that you can trust his advice?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    My interpretation of the article and of the three suggestions is that suggestion 1 is the least important of the three suggestions. You'll gain some security by moving forward with your Windows version, but it isn't essential that you do this. On the other hand, suggestions 2 and 3 are absolutely essential.

I think people are misunderstanding the intent of the Windows Secrets article. You don't have to do everything they say in order to be safe. Rather, you should consider all of the suggestions in the article, and then proceed forward with what you have learned about the possible risks in each of the areas mentioned.

In other words, the article describes possible risks, not definite risks.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-03-25 at 16:52.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Windows Secrets is not suggesting this, the "chat-pal hacker" is.
    Are you sure that you can trust his advice?
    You misread that part of the article. The "drop XP" advice was not from the Tunisian hacker, but from Andrew Brandt, director of threat research at Solera Networks.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    My interpretation of the article and of the three suggestions is that suggestion 1 is the least important of the three suggestions.
    They were quoted in reverse order for the suspense effect?

This ain't no beauty pageant!

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right at the end of the article it lists the three but the third is in bold and italicized; about not clicking on links, so its importance above and beyond the other two is clearly indicated there. It should also be in a 10 foot tall font, but hey, can't have everything. Just the other day I typed Picasa into google search and there were about 6 so-called ads just to the right in the results, all with large print Picasa-something in them, and I don't know where they all led to, but NONE of them led to a direct Picasa download from what I could see.

So, the advice CAN be stop using XP, but it can't be to stop using browsers and email, know what I mean Verne?