3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 10 update offered

I am using Win 7. Windows Update keeps nagging me to update to IE 10. I'm not going to any time soon. Is there any way to block this particular update?

Thanks,

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-03-21 at 14:08.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Right-click, Hide Update:

Tip: Hide Windows 7 Updates that you do not Ever Want to Install

(If you later change your mind—or if you just want to see a list of the updates you’ve chosen to hide—on the main Windows Update page, click Restore Hidden Updates.)

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

voxov (2013-04-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks, it's so easy when you know how!

David

Thanks
    I read someplace that after awhile you wont be able to hide it and it will install whether you want it or not.

I would suggest just installing it..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I previously posted this link to the Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10 - I think it means Installation rather than Delivery, though.

I'd prefer to trust this mechanism than to trust "Hide", which to me usually means "Hide until the next time you look"...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I previously posted this link to the Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10 - I think it means Installation rather than Delivery, though.

I'd prefer to trust this mechanism than to trust "Hide", which to me usually means "Hide until the next time you look"...
    Hide will hide an individual update until you unhide it. You might be refering to a class of updates like .net. Hiding one .net update won't prevent others from appearing.

Jerry

Thanks
    I recommend right now for Windows 7 users to delay, but not necessarily forever avoid, installing IE 10. It is not required, and hiding the Update will not prevent you from unhiding it when all the bugs and hardware issues now being experienced get hammered out. Maybe in six months or so.

My advice parallels Susan Bradley's advice on IE 10 in her Patch Watch Windows Secrets Column.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Bob, what bugs and issues are you referring to?

I haven't had any so far.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Not everyone will have problems. Unfortunately usually only the problems get posted. The many satisfied users never post that things are working fine. I guess it depends on your system, both H/W and S/W on whether you will experience problems. If you are not, then, "Don't worry, be happy"!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    Bob, what bugs and issues are you referring to?

I haven't had any so far.
    This, and many software issues. I have experienced slow performance, issues with Avast Web Rep plugin, and incompatible sites which actually fail to load. And my hardware was not one of the laptop systems which crashed with a BSOD during installation. Susan Bradley also does not recommend installing IE 10 on Windows 7 at this time.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    I recommend right now for Windows 7 users to delay, but not necessarily forever avoid, installing IE 10. It is not required, and hiding the Update will not prevent you from unhiding it when all the bugs and hardware issues now being experienced get hammered out. Maybe in six months or so.

My advice parallels Susan Bradley's advice on IE 10 in her Patch Watch Windows Secrets Column.
    My experience with IE10 on Win7 Pro 64 has been kind of "so what". I've been running it since the preview/beta and now the released version with no apparent failures. I use it on two machines with the same results. About the only thing I notice (from My use) is the "flat interface" compared with the aero look of IE9.

FWIW,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook explorer 10 did not operate correctly

I ran ReImage to cleanup my pc. It also reinstalls windows updates. It installed IE10 as well.
    When I opened IE10 I saw the usual window and was able to activate Command Bar and Favorites Bar. Clicking on any link did not work. All I ever got was a blank web page view (nothing). The tab did not show a waiting mode. It looked like it was done.
    I uninstalled IE10 update and am now using IE9 with no problem.
    I have an eMachines Windows 7 x64bit. IE 9 gives me the choice of IE9 32 or IE9 64 bit. I'm running the 64bit version now.
    Why won't IE10 even open a web page?
    I'm now going to hide the offered IE10 update until Windows Secrets says it's OK
    Last edited by denniswood; 2013-04-06 at 18:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using windows 7 home editon and when i downloaded ie10 i no longer could log into ie at all, all that would happen would it would attempt to connect and then disappear. after I uninstalled it all was great again (I am using ie 9 right now)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE10 queries

I planned to delay IE10 until Susan suggested that we do, but one morning it had been installed overnight on my main pc (but not on two others) running Win 7. For a week or so it would freeze and need to be restarted, but is seems better now.

One point of info: On earlier versions of IE the History listings showed only places visited on the web. On IE10, I also see additional info each day, under a heading of "Computer" with what looks like a long list of entries with a graphic like the typical explorer "e" over a page preceding what looks like a registry entry (hexadecimal characters plus some "-" signs, followed by ".html". Are these a new "feature" or IE10? Are they web page references? Are they useful or should they be deleted? Is there a way to delete these automatically?

Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also recommend not installing IE10 final (version 10.0.9200.16521) under Windows 7 yet because IE10 requires certain Windows 7 SP1 updates to be installed first before IE10 actually gets installed. See Microsoft KB article 2818833 for details on several Win7 prerequisite updates to install before installing IE10. KB2670838 is one of the prerequisite patches to install (yup, that particular patch that has been causing some problems with some Win7 users out there). IE10's setup program automatically downloads and installs these prerequisite Win7 SP1 updates before installing the actual IE10 program files.

Also, you can only install IE10 under Win7 SP1 and not the original/RTM release of Win7. If you are using the original release of Windows 7 and you have not yet installed Service Pack 1, you will not be able to install Internet Explorer 10.
    Last edited by np-7930; 2013-04-16 at 00:05.