New Lounger
    Thanks

Updates not found in Patch Watch

Since I am not super-techy I rely heavily on Susan Bradley's Patch Watch. It's generally the reason I subscribe to Windows Secrets. However, ever so often I will be offered an update that I can't find on her list. For example, on 3/12 I had a KB2767886 which was listed as an update for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition. It does not seem to be a security issue - is that why I couldn't find it on the list? She does list several other Office updates. I followed her general advice to wait if it's not a matter of security. But will this eventually show up on the list?
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-03-25 at 05:03.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martyr View Post
    It does not seem to be a security issue - is that why I couldn't find it on the list?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by martyr View Post
    I followed her general advice to wait if it's not a matter of security. But will this eventually show up on the list?
    No.

Unless you use Arabic in Word, forget about it:

Issue that this update fixes
    • When you use an Arabic language keyboard to type a standard Arabic phrase by using an OpenType font in Word 2010, discretionary ligatures and contextual alternates are incorrectly applied to the phrase.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/2767886

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Martyr,

You'd be surprised how many updates don't show on those lists. I surely was when I created a program to compare the updates on my machine and compare them against the newsletter list and now the "Master" lists she is publishing on the website.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies - they put my mind at ease.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Martyr,

You'd be surprised how many updates don't show on those lists. I surely was when I created a program to compare the updates on my machine and compare them against the newsletter list and now the "Master" lists she is publishing on the website.
    Can you point out where Susan's Master List is located on the website?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Enyaw,

Here's the link for the Master Patch Watch list. However, you have to be a Paid subscriber to the Windows Secrets Newsletter since accessing the page requires your Reader Number. If you click on the Newsletter Archives tab at the top of this page it will take you to information about accessing paid content. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Personally I prefer to investigate and check the updates I have available myself. Although Susan's list is a good general list, it cannot possibly take into account variables on your PC. You might have devices or apps that need an update that Susan does not have or cannot investigate. Plus you might have apps that interact in such a way that an update Susan ranks as safe will not install properly on your PC or that just trashes something. That is why I advocate for Imaging. Have a good, "Up To Date" Image, and if something gets trashed you can be back up and running in about 10 minutes. Then start installing updates one at a time until you find the culprit.

No one can give you a definitive list on what will or will not work on your PC in every case as everyone's PCs are different.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Retired Geek. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am a paid subscriber so no problem there.