Thanks

"no emulation" on trying to instal OS

hi

have an old Sony vaio PC [1800 AMD cpu ] and have fitted an old 40 gb hd that's just been low level formatted with maxtors utility on a CD [didn't particularly want to use "low level"], and am trying to install an OS [xp] .

first i got windows loading setup files but not since i removed one memory strip. now i get "no emulation". i also get psu fan error [its blowing ok]

in bios the hd is recognized as is the 2 optical drives and memory. have set bios to default

any advice appreciated

update:

now Ive removed the usb 4 port/socket card from the m/board i still get "no emulation" but then it goes on to load setup files, however [it stops with error "nvraid" not found.

update:

win 2000 is now installed after 3 attempts with assorted errors, including "line 3221161472 of hivdef.ifn is corrupted. can't continue, which occurred during "configuring".

It almost fully boots except that it immediately re-starts setup. during the previous set-up it couldn't find 5 dll files which were skipped. [i have names of the skipped files]
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-24 at 09:30.

Thanks
    can anyone [perhaps a moderator] suggest how i might get some generous soul to assist me with this problem. the request has been up for a good few days now and it seems dead.

[if u read the post earlier, i keep updating it as things progress, or should such updates take the form of new posts?]

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-24 at 09:16.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hard to say what might be wrong. I can only suggest removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard and shorting out any residual power, reset the BIOS jumper if available, maybe even replace the battery if you can determine its not providing enough electricity.

Also in the case of W2K, it sounds like the disc is not being read correctly throughout, or again the motherboard is flaky maybe. No emulation and fan error would seem to point to a flaky motherboard but it might have some unrelated cause also. You could try downloading and installing, or just run as a LIVE CD, some version of LINUX, which will give you a new CD to use and if that works then there is most likely something wrong with your installation media. If you get more errors then it's hardware somewhere; cables, motherboard, etc.

Thanks
    hi

thanks for responding [again]

i found 2 jumpers on m/board like ones on a hd [there was a 3rd empty position]. i removed the jumpers , and removed the cmos battery and restarted the pc for a min or two before shutting down. i then replaced jumpers and battery. are those the jumpers u meant and if so how do u reset them?

also i noticed during start up: dram mode: 64 bit, is that of concern?

also i noticed the full msg about the fan was: hardware monitor error found: power supply fan. press f2 .....etc. in bios it was listed as 0 rpm so i changed it to "ignore". also cpu temp was 58.5 c

update:

i saw on web that removing cmos battery for about 10 min should suffice, thus avoiding the necessity to re-set jumpers. have not done this yet [only removed for a min.] as after some more farting about i got the xp setup to start without any errors, its got to the point where i enter a password so i'm hopeful

update: success, all ok now, seems either u were right about re-setting jumper etc, or my telling bios to "ignore" the "fan 0 rpm", worked.

it still shows "no emulation" for a moment when booting and i the "fan" error msg is still there.
    what do you think can be done to sort those, could it be that the psu fan speed is slow [it seems to blow hard enough though]

thanks again
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-24 at 14:59.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't ever seen a message about the PS fan, but I have seen ones where the secondary motherboard fan connection will cause an F2 halt. That one is safe to ignore as long as the CPU fan and PS fan are going. CPU temp is a little warm but not too bad unless it starts heading for the 70's a little to easily under load or the fan kicks into higher RPM very easily. You said it is old so the thermal paste has probably dried out and is not conducting as well as it should.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

qaz (2013-03-25)

Thanks
    very helpful about the fan, will look at the t/paste, also the side was off so air flow disrupted.

It still shows "no emulation" for a moment when booting and i the "fan" error msg is still there, any suggestions re this?

Also, when booting i still have to press F1 to continue, any ideas?
    thanks

would tell me about the "thanks" button , are thanks after every post preferable, by that i mean do they increase ones credibility/popularity like on ebay, or is just one at end of the problem sufficient, it doesn't generate a separate email to u every time some thanks u does it?
    Last edited by qaz; 2013-03-25 at 07:22.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No, no thanks messages are sent if email options are on, at least I don't receive any for whatever my settings currently are.

As long as its booting properly, the no emulation error is most likely not an important one. I can think of a couple "emulation" items in the BIOS, most importantly I think, IDE emulation, but that would be on a SATA bus. Are you using an IDE hard drive connection with a couple SATA ports available on the motherboard? If so, probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, as it might bring back the nvraid error otherwise.

For the fan error, if it is one of the operational fans, not much you can do that I know of, if it's the second case fan connector on the mobo and there is no fan connected, I connected a fan and the error went away.

For the F1 to continue, try going into the BIOS and on the first page maybe there might be a Halt or do not halt on all errors except keyboard setting. If there, try setting that to something that is logical and see if it will then skip the halt by ignoring the errors.

Thanks
    no sata ability on mobo. nothing in bios for the "F1 to continue"....so, i can put the issue to sleep now i think, the "ignore fan 0 rpm" did not stick in the bios, so it looks as if if was ur advice to remove battery etc that fixed it.

so i know forum etiquette , if one has another unrelated issue to pitch at the end of something like this should a new post be made?

and, are thanks after every post preferable, by that i mean do they increase ones credibility/popularity like on ebay, or is just one at end of the problem sufficient.

thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BIOS set to something that it does not find during post, such as a floppy being installed but not there or disconnected, cd drive, same, external keyboard option turned on but not found, external video connected, mouse pad off since external mouse told to be connected, a second HD installed or on when nothing found during post, etc.. It is a halt on error setting for a mis-set BIOS hardware POST mis-match.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a question out of left field for you....

Where did you find the 40Gig HD?

Is it possible you installed a DriveOverlay onto it? A Drive Overlay is software to permit older PCs with HD limitations to read larger drives.

It could explain why you had to do a low level format (never saw an explanation posted)
    It could explain 'emulation' error.
    It could explain why Windows didn't want to install.

I could be waaaaaaay off... or dead on.

Regardless, I could try to help you through this but I need more information. What specific model Vaio is it? I have worked on a fair share of Vaios and they have peculiarities.

I believe 'thanks' is on this forum just to avoid a thread being promoted to top of list because someone posted "Thank you"

I use "Thanks" on any post that helped me. It allows others who are browsing to identify something useful was posted.

If you have questions related to the same machine you started the thread about, I believe it is acceptable to continue on with new problems (I would edit the topic and first post to reflect the additions). When all else fails, people here will suggest a new thread.

These forums are sporadic; not all people that can help check in every day. And posts get buried sometimes inadvertently by new threads.

When all else fails, waiting until a new Windows Secrets Newsletter will be released generally gets more people to the forum... 3rd Thursday of every month if I'm not mistaken, so I would post the day before and day of to get most visibility (when possible).
    Last edited by Ben09880; 2013-05-02 at 11:53.