aodonnell

Outlook/Word conflict

I use Outlook2K religously, but I have noticed that since installing the rest of Off2K that a couple of times a day I get an error when trying to open a new email saying that Word is busy and cannot be used. Then it proceeds to open the email using a different editor. I like using Word as my editor, but this is getting really annoying. I've also noticed that if I view the Processes tab on my task manager I can see that Word is running in the background even if it's not open. Sometimes if I end Word.exe and restart Outlook I can continue using Word as my editor. Thank you for any help. I am using Office2K with the SP1 update on an NT machine with 450MHZ processor and 256MB of Ram.

aodonnell

Re: Outlook/Word conflict

I realized I probably should post the exact text of the error so here it is:
    "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead."
    Then it gives you only the option to click "OK." Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is one of the reasons that I don't not use Word as my email editor.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

winword running in task manager is normal, it needs loaded to use it for the editor.

do you have both off97 and off2000 installed?
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q223/9/34.asp

aodonnell

Thank you for the tip. However, in my case I don't have Off97 installed. But I am in an office environment where I use files that are created in Word97, though most of the Word docs I deal with are my own created in Word2K. Thanks for the article though bc my home computer uses both and I was about to start using Outlook at home.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

did you upgrade from office97 or word97?

aodonnell

yes, although I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office2K since then

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the uninstall must of left something behind that is causing the problem.

can you link any activity with the problem? like it's ok until you open word to work on a regular word doc or it's only after replying to an html mesage or something?

aodonnell

I haven't been able to link it to a specific action. It happens a few times a day, but I can pinpoint anything. I tried looking for "old" Word files and didn't find anything, but I'm not sure I know what I am looking for. Thank you for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i don't know what to tell you to look for either. it could be a registry entry, an old template or macro, an old word document. it's really hard to say unless you can make some connection or someone else reports the same problem and gives more clues.

try the steps in the kb (to open word first) and see if that stops it.

aodonnell

Sorry I couldn't provide more help. I have been trying different things to provoke the error, but I can't seem to replicate it. It just pops up when it wants. I opened and edited several documents including some created in Word97, opened and closed Outlook and it doesn't seem to help. I will try to start Word before Outlook for a few days and see if that helps. I know I never do that bc a shortcut to Outlook is in my startup so it's one of the first things that opens. Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australia, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Try replacing your normal template (rename it & let word make another.) Make sure OL & word aren't running first.
    I had this same hassle for years when I started using Office97. I finally discovered that OL98 couldn't use my normal template, because I had a footer in it.
    I was really pleased to see OL2k didn't have this hassle - I have the file name & date permanently in my normal template footers.
    As far as I can see, OL opens the normal template in the background when word is the chosen editor and then uses it for new mail. Sounds like you've got something else in your normal template that OL doesn't like!
    Hopefully there's an office guru out there who can confirm my guesses.
    NOW - I Hope someone can shed light on my list of annoyances I'm about to post!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it could be an old or corrupted template.

email uses a template called email.dot, not the normal.dot (or in addition to) and it should be on the cd, although i don't see it on my SR1 cd.

aodonnell

That's a great idea. An earlier post from MaryJ got me thinking that there must be something left over from Word97 and that may be it. Thank you, I'll give it a try.