New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 new e-mails arrive as opened

Using Windows 7 & Outlook 2010, all my new e-mails arrive marked as “read” when they are received when Outlook is running. When Outlook is running, new e-mails are marked “unread” like they’re supposed to. I have no rules and no reading pane options are set. I have this problem on 2 computers, both running Windows 7, but 1 has I.E. 9 and the other has I.E. 10; both have the same problem. I have no other devices intercepting my e-mail and I have no reason to suspect my ISP settings are off. This problem did, however, begin after I installed I.E. 10 on my desktop computer. Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'm guessing that one of the two conditions is supposed to be when Outlook is NOT running. Which one?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Historically, when I opened Outlook, any new e-mails would show as "unread", with the yellow closed envelope icon. When a new e-mail arrived, while Outlook was running minimized, a new e-mail would also appear with the yellow unopened envelope icon. Now, the yellow unread open envelope only occurs when new e-mail arrives when outlook is running, when it is closed, new e-mail that arrives receives the opened mail icon. I'm asking if I can get both conditions (running and not running) to show an unopened envelope icon when new e-mail is received. This is how Outlook has historically worked for me in the 13 years I have been using one form or another of Outlook.