Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail to Outlook question

Hi, Hotmail just converted me to outlook. Looks OK but I do have a question.
    On the inbox and reply page the left frame is 1/3 of the page, it is too much. On the options drop down I have the choice of "right, left or bottom, but no way (that I've found) to resize the frame. I want most of the page for the mail or reply and I can't find or do it. I would appreciate any help in changing this. Thank you to anyone who can help this irritating problem.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I suggest using Windows Live Mail, signed-in using your mail address & password. It gives better features & tweaks. I only use WLM 2012 http://www.filehippo.com/download_windows_live_mail/
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the Inbox you can place your cursor over the dividing line between the options on the left and messagelist and drag it to the desired location. Doesn't work though on reply, where I agree, it leaves a very large box on the left. Also wish we could customize what columns show in different views.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For reading messages;

If you double-click on a message, or click the "Full view" icon at top right of the reading pane, it will lose the message list and make the reading pane wider; until you click on the Inbox folder or click the "Back to messages (Esc)" cross at top right; but you can still view next and previous messages using the up or down arrows at top right.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to Bruce, roderunner and bigmac, I will try to use your suggestions, thanks again......Stan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed an ad blocker on both FF and Chrome to give me extra space with no ads to see with Outlook or GMail....... I rarely use IE9 or 10 so I've not installed it there yet..... This could help you to some degree...... Good Luck......
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you joerice, for your help, take care.....S

Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate the Microsoft forced this change. if I wanted to use outlook I would have installed it from my Office 2010 Pro cd, but I did not. Another annoyance is if you scroll the message, then delete, you are sent to the next message, but in the same scrolled spot. It does not put you at the top of the message, unless you return to top prior to deleting. Oh, and no forward button. That is stupid. Oh, and no logout button. That is stupid, too. Oh, and I agree on the pane sizes. That is stupid too. Hmm....I am sensing a trend.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post
    Another annoyance is if you scroll the message, then delete, you are sent to the next message, but in the same scrolled spot. It does not put you at the top of the message, unless you return to top prior to deleting.
    Not for me. Perhaps your browser is incompatible in some way.

Oh, and no forward button. That is stupid.
    I've got one. (Well, a drop down menu next to Reply which provides Forward.)

Oh, and no logout button. That is stupid, too.
    Click your name at top right, then Sign out.

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Not for me. Perhaps your browser is incompatible in some way. Latest Firefox

I've got one. (Well, a drop down menu next to Reply which provides Forward.) Exactly. Not a button

Click your name at top right, then Sign out. Also, not a button. Extra steps

Bruce
    right

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate the Microsoft forced this change. if I wanted to use outlook I would have installed it from my Office 2010 Pro cd, but I did not. Another annoyance is if you scroll the message, then delete, you are sent to the next message, but in the same scrolled spot. It does not put you at the top of the message, unless you return to top prior to deleting. Oh, and no forward button. That is stupid. Oh, and no logout button. That is stupid, too. Oh, and I agree on the pane sizes. That is stupid too. Hmm....I am sensing a trend.
    The FORWARD button can be found by clicking on the tiny arrow beside the REPLY button. The LOGOUT button can be found by clicking on your name at the top right corner of the message pane. As for the next message appearing scrolled down instead of at the top ..... this does not happen on either of my two PCs when using the new Outlook mail. I waited until Microsoft forced the change to Outlook. They emailed their intentions in advance and, one morning, I went to read email and it had changed to the new blue/white page with easier to read type. Overall, it's very similar to Hotmail with a few quirks to figure out. Otherwise, no big deal.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    The FORWARD button can be found by clicking on the tiny arrow beside the REPLY button. The LOGOUT button can be found by clicking on your name at the top right corner of the message pane. As for the next message appearing scrolled down instead of at the top ..... this does not happen on either of my two PCs when using the new Outlook mail. I waited until Microsoft forced the change to Outlook. They emailed their intentions in advance and, one morning, I went to read email and it had changed to the new blue/white page with easier to read type. Overall, it's very similar to Hotmail with a few quirks to figure out. Otherwise, no big deal.
    Yeah, Marvin, that is not a forward button. it is a menu option from the reply button. I know and understand the difference. Same as logout. There is NOT a logout BUTTON or link. It is a dropdown menu option.

What might be no big deal to some might be huge annoyance to others. As I said, if I WANTED Outlook, I could have installed the real deal from my Office Pro disk. I CHOSE not to for a reason. I do NOT LIKE Outlook.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Outlook is just a name. It is just the next iteration of Hotmail. Microsoft is deliberately going for less clutter in the controls that are displayed. Many people like the more spartan look. You may not like the UI design but I'm sure that Microsoft can backup their decisions with much instrumentation data. Perhaps you be allowed some additional flexibility in a future revision.

Joe

Thanks
    What might be no big deal to some might be huge annoyance to others. As I said, if I WANTED Outlook, I could have installed the real deal from my Office Pro disk. I CHOSE not to for a reason. I do NOT LIKE Outlook.
    Your choice. If you don't like the UI, install Windows Live Mail or some other Email client you like. They should all support Hotmail/Msnmail/Outlook.com. I haven't found any web mail site I like so I always use a mail client - Outlook 2007 for my main mail and Windows Live Mail for my "junk" mail.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Big box on right side

So what 's the box on the right next to the list of messages for? There is never anything in it, and I can't gt rid of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast