New Lounger
    Thanks

I can't burn to a cd anymore

I am using Nero 11, and have Windows 7 as my operating system. A while back, I still had Nero 9 on my box, and noticed that the cds I was burning wouldn't play. I figured it was my burning software, so I upgraded to the newest version of Nero, and still no luck. So I replaced my cd burner, and no luck. Nero scans the disc after burning, and it says that everything is there, but it won't play. If I disconnect one of my hard drives, plug the second burned into the box, I can do a disc copy from one burner to the other, and it works just fine, but other than that, I'm unable to burn from a file on my computer. Help, please.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to postaldragon For This Useful Post:

kaybee (2014-03-06)

Thanks
    Hi postaldragon,
    WSL.JPG

I used to use Nero but found it to be too large with a lot of modules that I never needed to use. Their are many free programs that do the same job just as well if not better. Check out some here.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thenks

I've used other programs over the years, and yes, it has stuff I don't need, but Nero has always done a good job. Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. Also, after doing a clean install of Windows, it still wouldn't burn a cd, even using a different drive as my C: drive with the clean install.
    Thanks anyway.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks

I've used other programs over the years, and yes, it has stuff I don't need, but Nero has always done a good job. Unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. Also, after doing a clean install of Windows, it still wouldn't burn a cd, even using a different drive as my C: drive with the clean install.
    Thanks anyway.

Lounger
    Thanks
    As you’ve re-installed Windows, upgraded Nero, and the drive, here are a few other things to consider:

Are we talking Video, Music or Documents backup disks here?

When you say the burned CD ‘will not play’ do you mean it will not AutoStart or do you mean there is no data burned to the disk? Look in Computer, right click the disk and see if you can Explore it. If there is data on the disk and the amount looks OK you most likely have either a Windows AutoStart problem or you are not setting Nero correctly.

Make sure you set the burn to ‘finalise’ (close) the disk to ensure compatibility with other drives.

Do not burn at maximum speed – half or even quarter max speed is much more reliable – go have a coffee!

Buy decent quality media – I rarely get any duds with Maxell, DataSafe, Verbatim etc.

Never burn anything important to an RW disk – just about the most unreliable medium of the lot. Spindles of CD-r and DVD-r are as cheap as chips these days and give far more secure burns.

I used Nero for years but gave up on it after v8 as it started to suffer from feature bloat, which always introduces more things to go wrong. I’ve seen lots of errors thrown up, on numerous systems, by later versions of Nero. I’d certainly try something other than Nero, even if it’s only to narrow down what is causing the problem.

As RodeRunner says, there is plenty of good, free burning software out there - this Ashampoo one below is pretty slick and does virtually everything most people need – the available options and their limitations are much more clearly shown than in Nero. Ashampoo will pop you occasionally to try to sell you a better version but just resist if the free one does what you want.

Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE 2013 11.0.6 - download from Softpedia
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...dio-Free.shtml

Cheers, Chris

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Cooper For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-03-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris,
    When I say the disc won't play, it's because there isn't anything on the disc, according to the properties of the disc. It says there are 0 bytes used, 0 bytes available. When I click on the disc and it comes up with track 1, 2, etc, I click on the properties of the track, and it says the size is 44 bytes. Now this is after recording at 8x, and having Norton check the disc after recording to ensure that the copy was successful. It tells me that the copy was successful.
    I have been trying to burn audio cds. I want to back up the albums I download from Amazon.
    I have the settings to finalize after I burn, I even slowed down the write speed, I am using CD-R's, I have burned cds on this box without problems for a while, then all of a sudden, I am unable to burn audio cds. I have played some of the cds I have tried to burn in my computer, but when I take it out to the car, or put it in a cd player hooked up to a stereo, it can't read the cd.
    I downloaded the Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE 2013, and got the same results as with Nero. I'm at a loss.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would try using DVD-R discs instead of CD-R discs and I would check the manufacturer of the drive's website for a firmware update for that make/model of drive. It must be for the exact model. While there, also check for information on compatible makes of disc for the drive. If you have the manufacturer's driver installed, the drive should be correctly identified in the Device Manager.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by postaldragon View Post
    If I disconnect one of my hard drives, plug the second burned into the box, I can do a disc copy from one burner to the other, and it works just fine, but other than that, I'm unable to burn from a file on my computer. Help, please.
    Are these IDE drives (CD and hard drive)? If so, one drive might be conflicting with the other -- the tip off was that when you unplugged one of your hard drives, the CD drive worked.

If this is the case, make sure that you have your jumpers set correctly for drives that are on the same cable -- one drive needs to be master and the other slave.

I wouldn't trust cable-select in your case -- you need to set the jumpers on each drive so as to force one drive to be master and the other to be slave. In this way, you will know that there is no conflict between the two.

Check all hard drives and cd drives that are IDE. And check how it all looks in BIOS. The BIOS information must match the way that you have set the jumpers.

Another possibility: I had an IDE DVD drive that quit working on my computer -- actually, it wouldn't work for doing a fresh Windows install. I put another IDE DVD drive, same thing. I then installed a new SATA DVD drive, and I haven't had a bit of trouble since.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-04-09 at 14:01.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Eric,
    thanks, but that doesn't help me out. I have been using the same discs for a while, and hadn't had any problems with the disc, and the software is current and the drivers current.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps,
    All my drives are SATA, and so is the cd burner, so there aren't any jumpers to set. And the drives and cd burner were doing just fine, and then just quit recording for me. I have tried a fresh install of Windows 7, on a clean drive, not the same one in the box, with a clean install of the latest Nero, and it wouldn't burn. It said it was burning, and Nero checked the disc and said that it was successful, but the disc still won't play in other cd players. I replaced the original burner with another one, and it did the same thing.

Thanks
    Even though you're not using the software mentioned in this KB - the problem may be of the genre - lifters. Look at this -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270008
    regards,

Jobsdone

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jobsdone,
    Checked out the link, and it doesn't really help me . And what are the genre - lifters you refer to?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by postaldragon View Post
    Jobsdone,
    Checked out the link, and it doesn't really help me . And what are the genre - lifters you refer to?
    Looks like a typo - upper & lower filters are mentioned in the KB article.