Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disable some hotkeys in Win 7 Home Premium?

I use a virtual desktop program and have assigned the hotkeys Ctrl-Win-1, Ctrl-Win-2 etc to activate the different desktops. This is an old habit, deeply ingrained in muscle memory and I don't want to change it!

On a new Win7 Home Premium laptop those keys are pre-assigned to launch the various programs pinned to the taskbar. I want to re-assign them to match the layout on my desktop machine.

Under Win 7 Pro / Ultimate it can be done using the local group policy editor (gpedit.msc) - but this is not available on Home versions. I don't know the registry locations to do it manually.

Any suggestions as to where to look? Got a favourite hot-key management program?

Thanks
    Haven't used it but this link purports to show how enable gpedit on Windows Home Premium.
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-g...rter-editions/

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe Keytweak would allow you to make the registry changes very easily.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, Jerry, thank you for the replies.

I followed the link in Jerry's post and now have gpedit.msc enabled in Win7 Home But I then discovered that it has a single setting to enable/disable All Win-X hot keys - while I only want to remove a few of them - others like Win-d and Win-R I use frequently.

Keytweak suggested by Bruce will map one key to another character - but I was unable to make it work with special keys or with key combinations.

Any other suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry about the unuseful steer towards Keytweak: I thought it could change keyboard shortcuts too, but apparently not.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks

A Solution :)

In the hope it will help someone else in the future - after some registry diving, and taxing my GoogleFu to the maximum I discovered this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currr entVersion\Policies\NoWinKeys
    Set to 1 disables all Win+x key combinations

To disable individual keys open Regedit (normal caveats apply) and navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced\

Create or edit an Expandable String Value called DisabledHotkeys (which does not exist by default) and add the numbers/letters you want to be available (ie not grabbed by windows).

So changing DisabledHotkeys to "12R" will prevent explorer from binding Win+1 Win+2 and Win+R.

You need to log off or reboot to force Windows to re-read the registry for this to take effect. Some more details here:
    http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/w...balhotkeys.htm
    Last edited by flippertie; 2013-03-27 at 10:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try SharpKeys as an alternative. I haven't used it for many changes, but it has always delivered what I wanted, and it is extremely simple to use.

Garth