New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player, MPEG video, and Windows 8, 64-bit

I'm in the process of importing video from by digital video camera, and all the files are in mpeg format. The audio plays in windows media player, but no video. I installed the latest version of WMM, that won't play them. I installed the latest quicktime, no dice. I installed instacodec, no dice, but I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with it once it was installed. I'm using Windows 8, 64-bit, which I regret often. Anyone out there have tip or trick that I can use to get these suckers to play correctly? It looks like the system sees them as audio files. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    It's missing codecs... MS did remove the codecs for video and DVD playback from WMP. Windows Media Player natively contains codes for CD playback and non video playback. The problem is due to the fact that WMP 12 depends on Media Center for it's codecs for video.

Activating Media Center solves the problem...except for DVDs...you have to use Media Center for those.
    Hopefully you have Win 8 Pro as Media Center is N/A for Win 8 Standard

Here's the link.... WMP codec with Media Center.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-03-24 at 07:39.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would say try VLC Media Player or the latest KM Player, see if either has the codecs for the video, maybe Instacodecs is not integrating properly with WMP. I presume the videos play correctly on the camera. Is it 720 or 1080P video? As a last resort you might have to try converting a video with Format Factory to Xvid AVI or some other format that you know is playable.

Thanks
    I have heard VLC player works well with Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Win 8 home edition came pre-loaded. The camera is a Sony Handycam with a built in hard drive, so I'm sure it's 720p. The videos do play fine on the camera. The only thing I haven't tried is playing them on my old XP laptop, but I'm sure they will be fine there. I just like to have all my videos and pictures in one place. Anyway, I appreciate the input, and will start down the path with the stand alone player and if that fails, then I'll see what it costs to upgrade to Pro or back it down to Win7. That's what I really wanted anyway! Thanks gents!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    VLC Media Player did the trick! Thanks! My wife is no longer angry at the new computer! Ha!

Thanks
    For others contemplating this, many of the new PCs with Win 8 pre-installed have the Win 8 Standard edition. (There is not longer a home edition). Media Center is only available with the Win 8 Pro edition. What this means is that the Win 8 Standard edition can not playback DVDs and does not include the codecs necessary for mpeg video playback as the OP in this case has.

The options then become update to Win 8 Pro Pack (this can be expensive. The best price I could find is $99.99) which updates Win 8 Standard to Win 8 Pro, or use a 3rd party app such as VLC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The options then become update to Win 8 Pro Pack (this can be expensive. The best price I could find is $99.99) which updates Win 8 Standard to Win 8 Pro, or use a 3rd party app such as VLC.
    You have omitted what may be the easiest option to solve the OP's problem: simply install the missing codecs so that WMP can play mpeg files (s/he apparently tried this once unsuccessfully, but perhaps simply didn't do so correctly or used an inadequate codec pack).

While Microsoft indeed made it difficult to play video DVDs in WMP without Media Center, http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/w...sked-questions seems to make it clear that WMP supports adding codecs to play other kinds of video that aren't supported by WMP's native codecs.

Thanks
    There is a K-Lite Codec Pack for Windows 8.

With K-Lite codecs installed, I usually play whatever I want, without the need for extra 'Players'.

Give it a shot!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    See K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.

Includes "Media Player Classic", which I have found to be excellent.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-11-26 at 06:55. Reason: correction
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave up on WMC and WMP years ago, they just don't work well enough to be classed as a serious media player solution. I use JRiver now and have never looked back.
    If I had to use anything else it would be Foobar for audio and VLC for video.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    I gave up on WMC and WMP years ago, they just don't work well enough to be classed as a serious media player solution. I use JRiver now and have never looked back.
    If I had to use anything else it would be Foobar for audio and VLC for video.
    Strange, I used VLC but didn't particularly like it. I tried WMC and it was so much better. Perhaps it's better now than it was years ago. Or perhaps I'm just weird (after all I prefer 8.1 to 7!)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    VLC quality and function can come and go a bit with versions; find a bug-free (relatively) version and all is golden. WMC is good for local and limited formats; get into remote desktop play and various formats like matroska and flv, and WMC is somewhat less useful than a lump of coal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    VLC quality and function can come and go a bit with versions; find a bug-free (relatively) version and all is golden. WMC is good for local and limited formats; get into remote desktop play and various formats like matroska and flv, and WMC is somewhat less useful than a lump of coal.
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    ...WMC is somewhat less useful than a lump of coal.
    Agreed.

Many times customers have asked for help after they had difficulties with video files recorded from video cameras, etc.

In almost all cases their problems disappeared after installing the K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack. But in some cases their video cameras were using the ".MKV" format which needs some special treatment to make it compatible to other video formats (AFAIK this is an issue that will be fixed in the final release of Win10).

There are ways of getting around the ,mkv issue, but off-the-top-of-my-head I can't remember what they were exactly. Try some google searches.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKACB: Error Between Keyboard And Chair Back
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    But in some cases their video cameras were using the ".MKV" format which needs some special treatment to make it compatible to other video formats (AFAIK this is an issue that will be fixed in the final release of Win10).
    Yes. Both mkv & flac will be supported natively in Win10.

Joe