Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

Windows Blue: a bit of a peek into Windows 8 updates

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    An interesting development is that people who have tried installing the leaked version are saying that start menu replacements (including Start8, StartIsBack and Classic Shell) do not work with it, as MS have removed much of the code they used.

I guess we shall see whether MS have found yet another way to infuriate their users.

Bruce

Thanks
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    An interesting development is that people who have tried installing the leaked version are saying that start menu replacements (including Start8, StartIsBack and Classic Shell) do not work with it, as MS have removed much of the code they used.
    Bruce
    Played with "Blue" today and can confirm above is true.

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Played with "Blue" today and can confirm above is true.

Rich
    We'll see after it his beta whether the start menu replacement folks can code it back in. Its a little early to worry about it. Does it kill the hot spot disables as well?

Jerry

Thanks
    I just think it's too early to know how things will look and work in Blue. As Jerry says, developers are pretty good at getting around MS road blocks. Although I do have a replacement installed, I do not actually use it for much. I sometimes run seldom used apps from Start8. These apps have not been added to my Shortcuts Toolbar. I have WU pinned to the Start Menu, but this is easily circumvented. The biggest thing I use Start8 for is the menu format Control Panel. This is the one thing I will have to get accustomed to doing without. I do sometimes use the menu format of Favorites, but again this is not a biggie to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It won't really have any effect on me one way or the other. I'm still a dedicated Windows 7 user, just tinkerin' with Windows 8. Of course, it is possible for MS to "improve" Windows 8 to the point that they discourage me from using it at all. I never installed Vista on any machine - skipped it entirely.

And I know it's early yet, but at this point in its life, Windows 8 has fallen behind Vista in its market share growth rate, and waaaaay behind Windows 7. The Windows 8 community is currently smaller than the Mac community.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Does it kill the hot spot disables as well?
    Jerry
    If you are referring to the registry edits, the ImmersiveShell key is not listed. I tried adding the keys but that did not disable the hot spots. I've had enough fun - back to Windows 8 Pro!

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    If you are referring to the registry edits, the ImmersiveShell key is not listed. I tried adding the keys but that did not disable the hot spots. I've had enough fun - back to Windows 8 Pro!

Rich
    No, I was referring to classic shell's ability to disable the hot spots. If you can't get classic shell to run at all, then there wouldn't be any possibility of using it to kill the hot spots - my primary irritation with Windows 8.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on Windows 7. I put Windows 7 on one of the computers that I had Windows 8 on, and Windows XP on the other one, and I put CentOS 6.3 on the Workstation that I had Server 2012 on.

I intended to stay with Windows 2000 forever, I liked it and I was used to it, but it got to where too many new things wouldn't work with it, and I had to move on. I know that the same thing will happen with windows 7, but I should have several more good years with iWindows 7, and then I'm going to Linux.