Thanks

Accessing the recovery utility

A friend brought over his Win 8 Gateway laptop last week, someone had been experimenting with some settings, now it would just lock up during the boot process. He wanted me to restore it to factory original configuration. (My friend had never run the Recovery Manager that allows you to create a repair flash drive with the recovery partition copied to it, so I needed to use the built in recovery partition.)

But I was unable to access the recovery process like I am used to doing it in previous OS'es. During boot, I tried F8, shift-F8, Fn+8, F10, F5, etc. I did some research and found lots of ways to access recovery from within Win 8, but could not find any documentation on how to access it on a non booting computer.

So my question is how to access the recovery utility on a non booting computer. I've had some seemingly knowledgeable people tell me Win 8 does not allow for that, but that does not seem to make sense. What does a manufacturer's tech support do when someone in warranty calls with a non booting computer? They must know most people do not create recovery disks, and surely they want to avoid the need to have the computer mailed in to them. So it seems like there should be some key combination to do this.

I don't have my friend's computer here anymore, but I'd like to find out what the correct procedure is for this.

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2013-03-31 at 18:10.

Thanks
    You need to read the documentation that came with the laptop or go to the Gateway web site with the model number to pick up the documentation there for the correct procedure. It varies by computer. Don't confuse Windows recovery (that you used to be able to get to with F8 on boot) with vendor restore to factory default. Windows 8 has killed getting to the recovery screen on boot with F8 - one of my biggest gripes about this OS.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Don't confuse Windows recovery (that you used to be able to get to with F8 on boot) with vendor restore to factory default.
    Jerry
    What is the difference between the two? Don't they both utilize the same image and restore the computer to the same state?

Thanks

Thanks
    No. Windows recovery that you used to be able to get to from F8 gets you to a recovery menu that presents boot and Windows recovery options - one of which allows the restore of an image you had to have previously created with Windows backup. Factory image recovery is provided by the vendor of your PC and the steps to use it is vendor unique and should be listed in the documentation that came with your PC.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    What is the difference between the two? Don't they both utilize the same image and restore the computer to the same state?
    No, they do not. You stated that you want to restore your friend's laptop to factory original configuration. How this can be accomplished depends on the OEM, and how they have it setup. My son's Lenovo laptop, for instance, has a special small key above the keyboard that is pressed during power on to get to the factory image restoration utility.

In order to restore your friend's laptop to factory fresh, you need to find out from the Gateway site how that can be accomplished with his specific model without the repair flash drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I know, it's too late for this particular laptop now, but for others reading this forum and for their future protection, let me say this....

As a computer tech of 30 years, whenever I set up a PC, whether it be a desktop or a laptop, I do the original setup, tweak and tune it for optimum performance and then I make a backup image of the C drive to some external media, whether it be to DVD or an external hard drive. Then later if something messes up the OS, a few minutes doing a restore puts everything back to the way it was when first set up.

I do try to get that little process done, before any BIG programs like MS Office are installed, just to save space in the backup image file(s).

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!