Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why you don't want to depend on the cloud

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cipher (2013-03-28),ibe98765 (2013-03-31)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Sorry, Jerry, have to disagree, that has nothing to do with the cloud. Not that I agree with Microsoft's behavior (quite the contrary), but people should be aware of the service agreement of services they sign up for, to avoid this kind of problem. On the other hand, someone must have the possibility of overruling this behavior from the likes of Microsoft, Google and Apple (as they are the ones who can cause this type of trouble on any of their users).

This is quite easy to avoid, anyway. My Microsoft account is based on an email account that's not hosted by Microsoft. No one can close it, but me.

Thanks
    Rui, I respect your opiniions. However I would venture the vast majority of Windows 8 Microsoft accounts use a account controlled by Microsoft and linked to a Microsoft Email address. They also link skydrive cloud services. My point is that you are at the mercy of a cloud vendor's policies (not just Microsoft) and you could lose access to your data. Its easy to say "people should be aware of the service agreement of services they sign up for" but very few people actually read these let alone understand them. We may have to agree to disagree here.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Why you don't want to depend on the cloud
    Because:
    What then do I do on a Sunny day?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    A while back I reported in this forum that I too had been locked out, although I didn't experience anywhere near the frustration of this user. I was able to get an answer relatively quick from MSFT as to the reason, simply by following the procedures laid out in the e-mail.
    As to the reason, it was a photo that I had on SkyDrive, that they (who ever the H they are) found offensive. I have since then been very careful, but I have seen photos on other SkyDrive accounts that were a lot more offensive than the one that I had on there.
    I also read the TOS, at that time and it does clearly state that they can terminate your account for certain things.

Good Luck to that guy.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This proves without doubt that all our personal data and images are routinely scanned assessed as "appropriate" by someone or something. It seems this used to be reserved for countries like China yet in now seems that the USA has become a dangerously powerful and over-bearing State when Big Brother is watching you and where any variations to the norm are spotted as "outliers" and dealt with. My suggestion would be to ditch the cloud despite it's great convenience, even with nothing to hide the thought of someone trawling through my files make my stomach churn.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cavehomme For This Useful Post:

cipher (2013-03-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Encryption. At the very least 7zip with encrypted file names and a password to the archive. If your cloud provider doesn't allow encrypted files, find one that does. they're out there, good ones with years of history of relability.

Thanks
    Boy! Another HOT topic!

What really is a 'cloud'? Where is the 'cloud' and who maintains it?
    Too many questions and far too few answers.

There can be no argument....once you send your critical data off premises, to a place you've never seen and under the care of people you don't know (some might even be convicted felons) you're at their mercy. I'm reminded of the employees of AOL, who were selling clients info to ....(well, who knows). They were finally busted, but only after thousands of peoples personal info was stolen and sold.

If you really want to protect your data files, then don't give them to strangers. Eh?
    I don't understand why some folks have such a hard time wrapping their minds around that rather simple concept.
    Remember your Mother's admonition...."don't talk to strangers".

I've been setting up backup schemes and data security programs for persons, banks and corporations for over 30 years.
    When I first started, we were still using 5.25" floppy disks. Thank Goodness we've come a long ways since then with data storage.

I do have a lot of data, going back years, that I really don't want to loose, but if I did, my world would not come to an end.
    Having said that, I do weekly backups of my entire C drive to external media. Daily, I do data backups to two, USB 3, drives.
    One is a 32 gig USB3 flash drive and two is a 1TB USB3 2.5" hard drive.
    A simple batch file, using XCOPY, does the backup for me, in just a few seconds. It's an incremental backup, so only new files or files that have been updated are copied.

Clouds can ruin a picnic, I certainly won't let one ruin my data.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-04-01)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Its not just MS, but all of the cloud service vendors, including Amazon AWS. If you "depend" on the cloud you're going get burned.

The facts don't lie, the "Cloud" is still a work in progress, too many frequent service outages, which are sometimes hours or days long, sometime horribly slow data speeds and access at their end, surprise/gotcha true cost, etc.

The cloud may be good enough for family photos and some backup jobs, but I sure would not trust it for realtime corporate data needs, not even close.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

This is quite easy to avoid, anyway. My Microsoft account is based on an email account that's not hosted by Microsoft. No one can close it, but me.
    I'm feeling a bit dense tonight, but I find this hard to follow. How do you accomplish it, and why can't Microsoft cut you off?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I'm feeling a bit dense tonight, but I find this hard to follow. How do you accomplish it, and why can't Microsoft cut you off?
    My Microsoft account is based on email address which is not hosted by Microsoft. This means that while they can lock me out of Skydrive, they can't lock me out of my email, so the consequences of a scenario such as described in the article would be mitigated.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Like DrWho, I do NOT trust the "Cloud" with my personal data, except with some pictures that I readily share. I do NOT put any financial data up "there", wherever "there" is.

The one place where Skydrive is helpful to me is in sharing pictures with those you wish to see them. For me it's much easier uploading pictures to Skydrive than to email them to all I wish to see them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Sharing either pictures or data files has been around for YEARS! Nothing new!

For as long as it's been available I've been using Photobucket for sharing photos and Box.net for sharing programs and other data files. I can also upload all that stuff to my own web server, for quick and easy download.

But.....I have all that stuff archived on my own computer and on my backup drives.
    It's all OFF Premises, only for sharing convenience, not for archiving.
    My archives are all right here, safe and sound under my own control.

Cheers Mates!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Without cloud based services (not just storage), many internet based systems would grind to a halt. Many websites and databases exist on shared virtual servers and these are part of "the cloud". Commercial grade cloud services cost money, but with that cost comes Service Level Agreements and accountability.

Big players in the market make profits through economy of scale: investing in huge infrastructure so they can offer online services cheaper than it would cost to deploy similar services locally. Take the virtual server example above. I recently calculated that my user's email database could be transferred to an online hosted Exchange service for approximately 1/3rd the cost of a new physical Exchange server.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    A simple batch file, using XCOPY, does the backup for me, in just a few seconds. It's an incremental backup, so only new files or files that have been updated are copied.
    You mean XCOPY /M /S, don't you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast