New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Update Error - 80073712 (For Over A Year!)

Hey Everyone, new member here!

I've been reading this forum for years, but never had the need to ask a question myself until now... I'm hoping anyone can help me figure out what the heck is

wrong with my computer... I simply CANNOT use Microsoft Update! This has been the case for about a year I think, and I have never found a solution to it

and I have tried everything I read online and nothing will fix it....

Details:
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    - Sony Vaio VPCF127FX (3 years old)
    - Bitdefender Total Security 2013
    - Disabled windows firewall/anti-virus/defender
    Problems:
    - When trying to 'check for updates', I always get this error:
    And error occured while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) Found: Code 80073712
    - Cannot Install Internet Explorer 9!!

Things I've tried:
    - My computer cannot run/execute SFC utility in prompt. It always gives this error:
    Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
    - I've tried Microsoft Fix it and it finds no problems
    - I've tried the latest 'System Update and Readiness Tool'
    - I'm confident it has nothing to do with bitdefender. Even so, I've disabled it and removed it to see if it was an issue and this problem is the same.

- Checking Windows Event Logs Gives This information:
    Version=1
    EventType=WindowsUpdateFailure
    EventTime=130086362343763871
    Consent=1
    UploadTime=130086362344075871
    ReportIdentifier=b749991f-94ce-11e2-8a62-544249158cdf
    Response.BucketId=720737087
    Response.BucketTable=5
    Response.type=4
    Sig[0].Name=ClientVersion
    Sig[0].Value=7.4.7600.226
    Sig[1].Name=Win32HResult
    Sig[1].Value=80073712
    Sig[2].Name=UpdateId
    Sig[2].Value=61CA813A-7585-442E-A66B-B0D15CE6BDC0
    Sig[3].Name=Scenario
    Sig[3].Value=Scan
    Sig[4].Name=SourceId
    Sig[4].Value=101
    Sig[5].Name=Environment
    Sig[5].Value=Unmanaged
    DynamicSig[1].Name=OS Version
    DynamicSig[1].Value=6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    DynamicSig[2].Name=Locale ID
    DynamicSig[2].Value=1033
    State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
    State[0].Value=1
    FriendlyEventName=Windows Update installation problem
    ConsentKey=WindowsUpdateFailure
    AppName=Host Process for Windows Services
    AppPath=C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
    ReportDescription=A Windows update did not install properly. Sending the following information to Microsoft can help improve the software.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please help!!!!

Thanks
    If this were my PC, I would seriously be considering a complete reinstallation of Windows. I would not be a bit surprised if at some point in time in the past you were infected and something was changed. The time involved in T/S these strange problems often is FAR more than the time involved in reinstalling the OS and all apps.

If the problem was caused by some nefarious stuff, I would format the HD AS A PART OF the reinstallation, not before the reinstallation. To accomplish this, after you choose Custom Install, on the next screen choose Drive options (Advanced) link (usually in the lower right corner of the window). On the next screen highlight the drive where Windows resides and choose Format below. Answer Yes to the question about loosing all data on the drive. Once the format completes, the installation will continue.

Before starting make sure you back up all your data. Depending on the amount of data, a Flash Drive of the appropriate size will work nicely.

I also make a list of all my installed apps. I will decide what apps to reinstall. You can always download the installation executable files onto a Flash Drive as well. If some have keys, make sure you have the keys stored as well. I open Notepad and put them there, then store this on a Flash Drive.

If you do not have an installation disk you can download the ISO file from Digital River, right click the ISO file on your HD and choose Burn Disk Image, and burn the ISO file to a DVD. This also makes the DVD bootable.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you have your Windows installation DVD, you can boot from that, choose Repair my computer, and open a command prompt. The Command Prompt will be running from a RAM Drive, drive X. You will need to manually find the drive letter where Windows is installed by changing drives one at a time and running a DIR command.

When you find the drive that contains your Windows installation, use that drive letter as your target, then run "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=[drive]:\ /offwindir=[drive]:\windows" (without quotes) where [drive] is the drive letter you have determined to be the Windows installation drive using the DIR command.

In this manner, Windows is not running, and any nefarious malware that may be interferring with your system commands will not be running, either, and will be unable to interfere.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-26 at 08:35. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows