Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random shutdown

Lounger
    Thanks

Random shutdown

Got an older XP machine here that still seems to be OK but for some unforeseen reason it will randomly shut down. Not log off/shut down just boom off. Then it reboots. Do you see me scratching my head. any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Could be a power problem or a heat issue. If this is a desktop machine, have you checked the physical connections inside the machine? Have you cleaned the PC? Have you run any hardware diagnostics?

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can set Windows to stop after a crash rather than reboot. This may allow you to see what has happened.
    My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Start up - I think.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

unexpected xp shutdown

Had a similar experience and difficulty locating the problem. Mine was related to the Pc being connected to power strip attached to the battery backup. Apparently the strip didn't convey sufficient voltage and power sags caused the shutdowns.

Thanks
    I just love to get a PC like that in my shop.

Every shut down (crash) is based on a very real reason. It can be something as simple as a bad CMOS battery (CR2032) or a failing power supply or failing and bulging capacitors on the motherboard.

It actually takes less than ten minutes to troubleshoot such a problem. And, many causes can be found with a simple visual inspection. But, if you have no idea what to look for, then it's time to take the computer to someone who does.

If the PC is over four years old, then put in a new CMOS Battery. That would be someplace to start and a fairly simple operation.
    For people who own a digital volt meter, I suggest taking the little battery out and check its voltage. If it's not 3.0v or better, then replace the battery.
    Then LOOK at the motherboard. If you see any of the little capacitors (they look like little cans with silver tops, that should be perfectly FLAT and not dome shaped) that seem to be bulging, it's time for a new PC.

Good luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-03-29),XPDiHard (2013-03-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please let us know whether or not you have a desktop or laptop
    --- It makes a difference on how you can check it out mechanicaly: connections etc

Consider How to disable automatic system restart on system failure
    http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/w...-8-7-vista-xp/
    --- Then post the exact error message

Try Safe Mode and let us know how it works out

As already mentioned changing the CR2032 battery could need replacement and that's an excellent idea

Thanks
    Another common cause of random shutdowns is overheating due to dust buildup on the heat sink/cpu fan assembly and/or failure of the cpu fan. Open up the PC and blow out all the dust bunny's with a can of compressed air. Also blow out the power supply and check the fan on your video card. When you blow out the cpu fan/heatsink, put your finger on a fan blade to prevent it from over rotating and ruining the bearings.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a desktop and yes it's older than 5 years and I blew out all the dust bunny's and it's still crashing. Next I will replace the battery and look into disabling auto restart. I will check the condition of the capacitor tops as mentioned in DrWho's thread when I replace the battery. Stay tuned for further info and thanks for all the responses

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem with my XP machine. Capacitors looked good, and I had narrowed it down to either the power supply or the CPU overheating. I spoke to a techie at Microcenter who said that an overheating CPU would cause the computer to freeze, not restart. On his advice, I replaced the power supply. That fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, capacitor tops look good. It now has a new battery. Now I'll just have to wait and see what happens. On another note, my free version of Avast antivirus keeps canceling the 365 day registration and tells me I need to buy the pro version. I've reinstalled the free version 3 times now and the same keeps happening after a day or two. Anyone know what's up with that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    Ok, capacitor tops look good. It now has a new battery. Now I'll just have to wait and see what happens. On another note, my free version of Avast antivirus keeps canceling the 365 day registration and tells me I need to buy the pro version. I've reinstalled the free version 3 times now and the same keeps happening after a day or two. Anyone know what's up with that?
    Please start another thread in the "Security & Scams" forum so this thread does not get confusing.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe power supply

I work in a corporate IT dept & a common cause of random shutdowns in older PC's is a failing power supply. If blowing out the dust does not help we take a power supply from a same model PC that has been 'junked' for other reasons & instal in the faulty one.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If replacing the CR2032 didn't solve the problem try

Since it reboots after its shutdown, please try How to disable automatic system restart on system failure
    http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/w...-8-7-vista-xp/
    --- Then post the exact error message if there is one
    ------ When it suddenly shuts down, an error message might appear but you don't get to see it because it doesn't stay long enough and you probably wouldn't have time to record the error message quickly enough

After the random shutdown and automatic restart, what happens?
    --- Does it continue to shutdown & reboot or does it run ok?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok here it is. After disabling the restart and then waiting for the random shut down here's what I got on the error message. RQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL then further down was this stop: 0X0000000A (0XC03EC1A8, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X805155CF) this means nothing to me but maybe it will to someone. Thanks all for your postings

Thanks
    That sounds like a device driver problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast