Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Recovery Disc Fails to Restore an Image - Why? And How Do I Fix This?

Hi,

I've rebuilt a friend's desktop, then tried to restore his OS partition with a DVD image set I created along with a Recovery Disc. It reported failure after going through all six discs. He has Home Premium x64.

When I first created this disc set, Windows reported success, and no errors during validation. His OS later became royally corrupted and failed to boot even in Safe Mode and after 2 rounds of Windows Repair. Severe overheating issues and onboard USB controller quirkiness dating back to a busted capacitor are why I now swapped his mobo and cpu, for starters. Prior to the rebuild, the desktop featured a ssd drive for his OS partition, configured as single-drive RAID, and a 3 hdd RAID 5 array for his data partition. For the new build, I added another hdd to the data array and reconfigured it as RAID 10; his ssd is again set as his OS partition, but I had to configure it as IDE this time (only 4 RAID-able SATA ports on the new mobo). The data partition now consists of four WD 500 GB 7200 rpm drives, for a 1 GB partition with 2 mirror drives; it used to be a 1 GB partition with 1 parity drive.

I performed extensive hardware testing btw. All hardware tests except extended RAM testing were performed and passed with PC-Doctor, Ubuntu (booted from CD) confirmed the SMART health of all drives is Healthy, and Windows Repair reported all hardware was good too. So hardware failure is very likely not an issue now.

Any ideas? I am most suspicious of the ssd's switch from RAID single drive to IDE at present, but cannot find any information online that addresses this. Does a system image include information that makes an image disc set dependent on whether IDE or RAID was used to control the drive(s)?

My friend has a HUGE amount of software and add-ons that would take weeks to reinstall from scratch; bad enough this image was created a year ago (I've impressed him with the need to image more often). He's also under time constraints to get his own business projects completed. So he really needs this image disc set to work, else he's pretty much screwed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BrianMJC; 2013-03-26 at 17:35. Reason: Forgot to mention something.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, a little more information.

First, turns out I can switch the two other SATA ports to RAID (poorly worded BIOS screen was deceptive). So he's got ports 0-3 for the data array (RAID 10) and ports 4-5 have the ssd and optical drive, respectively. You have to set 0-3 as either RAID or IDE, and 4-5 as either IDE or "same as SATA ports 0-3" (RAID in this case).

I tried booting anyway from the ssd as IDE, and I just get the Windows Boot Manager black screen with Status 0xc000000f, "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible." Then I tried the same after reconfiguring the ssd to RAID single-drive. Same error... not sure if this means RAID/IDE is irrelevant to this problem, or if this install needs RAID drivers for the new mobo.

I know you have to add RAID drivers to an IDE-setup Windows when switching from IDE to RAID... but would adding IDE drivers to this install make the partition work as an IDE drive (despite the uninformative "failed" error message of the Repair Disc)?

Thanks
    The problem is more than likely that the BCD Store is either pooched or the location (a very small partition, in many cases) is not available - not where Windows expects to find it. Perhaps that partition did not make it into your image set.

You may be able to get the system to boot by rebuilding the BCD Store using the Windows Recovery Environment.

FWIW - When an image is validated and reported as good, that just means that the image itself is good. It doesn't necessarily mean that it includes everything one might need.

I frequently make drive/partition images, but I rarely create a new image of my boot partition. I only re-image that when I have made some change.

In order for the boot partition to be included in one of my image sets, I would have to select the entire drive (the drive where that partition resides) for imaging.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-26 at 19:13. Reason: clarity
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearen.

Yes, I included that 100 MB partition in the image set. But it does seem pooched though, you're right. And there are issues with the Windows partition as well, it seems.

I have a program called BootIt Bare Metal, so I booted it from CD. It reports that there is in fact the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition as well as the Windows OS partition which it calls "MBR 1" on the ssd now. But the System Reserved partition shows an error, "Invalid Head and SPT values exist in the PBP. Fix It?" It doesn't seem to fix it though, the error keeps popping up whenever I click it to view its properties (though it does show its properties and the BCD data).

The Windows partition shows "Bootable: No" and reports that "the location of this partition may prevent some operating systems from booting from it." When I click for details, it reports "Unable to mount the file system."

I tried System Repair again from my Windows Recovery disc (with the ssd in as IDE), and it did find a corrupted boot manager and "successfully" repaired it... reboot showed the same black screen error though.

EDIT: Startup Repair says "Root Cause Found. Boot sector partition is corrupt. Repair action: Boot sector repair. Successfully completed. Error code 0x0" I just tried it a second time, no dice.
    Last edited by BrianMJC; 2013-03-26 at 19:39. Reason: Update.

Thanks
    Keep running the boot repair. It sometimes takes several tries for it to complete the repair to a functional status.

--edit-- I also use BootIt Bare Metal. I used BootIt Next Generation for several years before I upgraded to BootItBM.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-26 at 19:46. Reason: additional info
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

BrianMJC (2013-03-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. Five repair attempts altogether now, same results. Let's see if it works in another five or less, I hope!

I used BootIt NG too. I used BootIt BM to perform a backup of my friend's data partition (and copied & pasted it manually for a second backup, you can never be too cautious with computers). Great programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, ten failed attempts. Same results, I guess this is not working.

Is it worthwhile to keep going, or to try another ten attempts with the ssd configured as a single RAID drive instead of IDE?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMJC View Post
    Okay, ten failed attempts. Same results, I guess this is not working.

Is it worthwhile to keep going, or to try another ten attempts with the ssd configured as a single RAID drive instead of IDE?
    You might want to try BootRec instead.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren. It's not seeing any Windows installations (with the /scanos argument). /fixmbr reported success, /fixboot did likewise, and /rebuildbcd reported no Windows installations.

Thanks
    Have you looked at any of the other partitions when booted into BootItBM? There may be more here than meets the eye...

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just the 100 MB system reserved and Windows partitions (I have the RAID 10 drives configured but not partitioned or formatted yet).

Thanks
    If you made the image set with Image for Dos (included in BootIt Bare Metal), in the restore did you make any adjustments in the geometry settings?

Also, if you did use IFD, there is a very helpful forum at TeraByte Unlimited.

If you used the Windows imaging tool, perhaps the hardware configuration changes are causing difficulty.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I made the OS image with Windows (via Backup and Restore); I used Image for DOS recently to backup his data which I have not restored yet. I'm also thinking the hardware changes are the culprit. I'll try swapping the ssd to RAID single drive control next and will then try restoring the image again (I did it under IDE the first time, and that drive was originally configured as a RAID single drive).

So I'm going to call it a day now. Thanks again for your great help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to update this post for posterity at least. I completed another image restore with the ssd configured as a single RAID drive (as the drive was originally configured on the previous mobo). It failed again.

I now find myself reevaluating the usefulness of RAID for data recovery, given it only appears to work under very limited circumstances... and on top of that, actually breaks methods of data recovery (image restore) that would have worked fine with just a single IDE drive instead.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I just meant for regular PC's, I agree it seems unnecessary. And in cases where parts other than drives go bad, it seems counterproductive actually. I didn't realize specific RAID controller information was contained in partition images (I knew adding new RAID drivers was necessary, but when the MBR doesn't even take properly, seems to me there's more than just a need for new RAID drivers going on). I guess when RAID servers have mobo issues they just swap in a new mobo of the exact same model, or they use RAID controller add-on cards and keep a stack of identical ones handy to swap in if one fails?

I think I'm going to try rebuilding the old mobo and re-imaging the ssd with the old hardware next, followed by adding the new mobo's drivers while (hopefully) running with the old hardware, and then sticking the ssd back into the new mobo... hopefully the old mobo stays on for the full process, and hopefully it works in the new computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast