Thread: Ie 10

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ie 10

Hello. A friend of mine just got updated to IE 10 on W-7, and Outlook, both were just dropped on him. Now, we find that most of the shortcuts in Favorites are not working. We get a dialog saying that the URL referring to this link is not proper. I have redone a few by clicking in the URL, getting onto the site and then making a new Favorite. Some work, some do not. Is there a magic potion that we ought to ingurgitate first or is this an IE 10 bug ?
    I have IE 10 on my W-8 machine and nary a problem on my two machines, a desktop and a laptop. Thanks for all pointers.

This is nothing compared to being forced to go to Outlook as Live Mail is being dropped. There were all kinds of problems there but I got the best of them. Jean.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jean,

Just imagine what things are going to be like when we get Blue!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    IE 10 seems to be quite buggy in Windows 7. Even Susan B recommends holding off on it for now.
    Uninstall it if you can do so safely.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    An individual can download and install a Toolkit to Disable the IE 10 installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello and thanks to all the "heavy weights" who replied here. Your opinions, I share. I was going to suggest a Restore today, IE 10 has only been there for two days now.
    I will get to him on Teamviewer to start the process as when it does run, we will be disconnected. I will feedback. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted. I had a look at this Toolkit to Disable IE 10 but the damage is done, it is installed this would only prevent the installation.
    Now, I tried ( Teamviewer ) to get back to a time before he did this but we could not go back far enough, he is still stuck on IE 10. Do you suggest an easy (?) way to get him to use IE 9 again ? No clone, no back up no nothing but my earnest help for this friend. Would using the W-7 install disk cure this, should we remove IE 10 before so the repairs would then install IE 9 ? Your dedication greatly appreciated. Jean.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks. I went to this site and printed the data. I emailed it to my friend as a .doc. It sounds easy enough for a newbee.
    This brings a question : in my W-8 cum IE 10, nowhere can I find the information on this, Programmes and Features does not show IE as being there. If I get to it in C:/, a click on the .exe again shows no version number. What gives ? A nice week -end to you. Jean.

PS. I just found it, it is shown in the ieinstall.exe. Versions are quite different from one t'other.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-03-29 at 08:14.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    IE 10 is the native version on Windows 8, it cannot be uninstalled, AFAIK.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    To find the version number in IE just click on the settings icon (gear) and select "About Interner Explorer".

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, happy Easter to you. >>> IE 10 is the native version on Windows 8, it cannot be uninstalled <<<
    If you go back to message #1, you will see that my friend is on W-7. Ooooppss ! ;-) Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, good afternoon to you.
    We went through the suggested steps and it removed IE 10 but installed IE 8, not 9. So I got to his Panel -> Updates, made sure to "Hide" IE 10, then selected to install IE 9. It is doing it now as I type at you. We had the same problem on 8 as on 10, might it be the server ? This is again with the Favorites not responding to some saved ones.

Joe, can you be more specific as to which GEAR is to be clicked to see this About information on IE ? I tried a few and no joy.

Disregard, Joe, I just found it. Sheepish look on my face !

You all be good. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-03-29 at 14:40.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Hi Jean,

Sorry, I was replying to your statement:
    This brings a question : in my W-8 cum IE 10, nowhere can I find the information on this, Programmes and Features does not show IE as being there.
    So this was about your computer, not your friend's, as I understood.

Happy Easter to you .

Regards

Rui
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No need to be sorry, Rui. The mistake was mine as I had two thoughts in the same post. I ought to be more careful and proof-read my typing to ensure that it does carry what I really want to say. I hope the bunny rabbit brings you some chocolate. Jean.