New Lounger
    Thanks

Question XP Service Pack 3

I'm floating between three Windows environments and not doing swell at any. I now see Windows wants to
    run SP3 on my old IBM Think Pad using XP? Does anybody see special problems with this?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SP3 is the standard for XP and I've not seen any issues that prevent installation.
    I would make an image backup before installing - use one of the free backup programs if you don't have one. I install it from the command line to stop it performing a backup - it takes forever to install without the backup. I'll try to remember to post the command line string for you.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

LesWurse (2013-03-28)

Thanks
    Service packs are least likely to be problematic when done after a clean install.
    If you do not whish to perform a clean install at this time, clean up the OS as best you can, image it, then install
    the service pack.
    If you end up STILL having issues, then a clean install will be needed.

Remember, a clean install should always be PLANNED, meaning, collect everything you need before hand and backup
    whatever data you need to prior to beginning.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-03-27 at 13:09.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I have had better luck with downloading the full SP3 rather than using Windows Update. See Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Do not be put off by the title it is just the full install package.

NOTE: Please take Paul's good advice and backup your system before you begin the SP3 installation.

Joe