Star Lounger
    Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Thanks

quantum fireball harddrive critical error 68

after some problems with booting up i loaded MCAfee onto the drive which is about 4.1 gigs partitioned into two equal sized drives. i have had to reload win98 on my main drive c: a couple of times because of some unexplainable problems. now when i run MCAfee diskminder, it tells me "1 partition table error, critical error 68 on drive 1", what the heck does this mean and how do i rid myself of this annoying ghost?

[img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: quantum fireball harddrive critical error 68

Hi,
    Have you checked McAfee's web site support to determine specifically what error 68 refers to?
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually i was just chatting with their help desk. they suggested removing mcafee from my pc and then run FDISK /MBR. i am not sure what this does, can you enlighten me? then to re-install mcafee and try diskminder again and see if i get the same message. this problem doesn't stop me from accessing the hard drive but when i run diskminder, it shows up as an error.

Thanks

Hi,
    MBR stands for Master Boot Record. As far as I'm aware this stores info about partitions (where they are, which is active etc.). I assume that fdisk /MBR causes the Master Boot Record to update/repair itself. I would recommend doing it - even if you're not having problems now, they're probably lurking around the corner!
    I've had problems like this with that sort of windows-based disk utility before - I chose to allow the utility to try and repair the MBR instead of using fdisk. BIG mistake. Had to reformat the whole thing and start again.
    As usual, backup your data first! (I speak from experience of the "Oh it'll be all right" type...[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img] )
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

rory,
    should i boot up in dos and run this? when its done and i reboot into windows and rerun diskminder, should the error be fixed? i did have someone tell me to just get rid of mcafee all together. it seems to be doing more harm than good. any comments?

thanks
    mike[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks

Mike,
    Personally, I'd boot from a system disk to use fdisk. I found this article about fdisk (there's a section on the MBR switch but it didn't mean a lot to me[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]. There also Q255867 at Microsoft about fdisk though it's more to do with partitioning.
    As for utilities like that, I'm not a big fan. I've used one or two but ended up removing them as at best they seemed to slow things down and at worst they left my system unbootable. On the other hand I know people who think they're invaluable. A question of personal preference really.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

rory,
    i tried running fdisk /mbr from dos and then rebooted to go into windows. once in windows i went into mcafee and ran diskminder. i got the same message about the hard drive. i re-booted using boot disk and ran diskminder from DOS, i got no errors on drive C:. go figure!!!! i think i might just delete mcafee and let things ride and see what happens.

thanks for you help.

mike

ileacy

FDISK /MBR rewrites the initial portion of the boot RECORD/SECTOR with zeros, but leaves the boot program portion unchanged. This is frequently done to eliminate "boot sector" viruses that hide in the initial, normally unused, area.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,
    i think i beat this one to death. i will just remove McAfee and let it be for a while. thanks everyone for your insight into this annoying little ghost.

mike