5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Safely, easily move partitions with these tools

LANGALIST PLUS

Safely, easily move partitions with these tools

By Fred Langa

Two partition managers one free and easy to use, the other a commercial product with additional professional-level features offer more options than Windows' Disk Management. Plus: Windows 8's almost-buried (but excellent!) backup and imaging tools; a way to make XP easily restorable, even after support ends; and CVE bugs

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/safely-easily-move-partitions-with-these-tools/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks

Seeks good way to resize, move partitions

Partition Wizard looks like a good answer to the question raised in the column. It will do what is proposed and doesn't cost anything. This is the one I downloaded to replace Acronis Disk Director last year. I did so on a Lounge recommendation.

For even bare-metal restorations, I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition with its WinPE based boot disk. WinPE must be downloaded from Microsoft, and this is a 1.7GB download. After that, Reflect takes over the job of creating the boot disk. From that disk, even bare metal recovery has worked for me in Windows 8, from the early previews through the current Win 8 Pro.

I dual-boot, so these tools are used pretty often.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Parted Magic

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloaded and installed EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition per your recommendation.

I first tried to move the graphical representation of the partitions to the top of the display (like they are in partition magic), that really messed up things! It got worse when I attempted to click on anything else (this was on my Windows 8 Pro 64-bit tablet).

Looks like I'm after a different program!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Keep XP systems going after support ends?

Fred, I don't think you are aware of an amorphous international group dedicated to the maintenance of WINXP, otherwise I am certain you would have given some slightly different advice to Gerald Cross. I am referring specifically to User_Hidden's update packs (updated within 2-3 days of MSFT's monthly updates, and first posted April 2009). The link to it is
    http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopi...7399a41c13723c

The link for the Ryan's integrator contains usage information. The link for nlite is
    http://www.nliteos.com/ and the Tutorial link is http://www.winaddons.com/nlite-14-tutorial/#comments With nlite, one can streamline XP-SP3 to eliminate anything not needed.

Depending on how far one wants to go, I would also suggest scanning the Addons--
    http://www.wincert.net/forum/forum/8...nd-rvm-addons/
    and further links from there. Some of the key people are/have been Yummeyao (Win Media Player11 and IE8 updates), booogy, and 5eraph.

Will be interested in what you think about this.
    Last edited by diktater; 2013-04-07 at 18:09.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That "amorphous international group dedicated to the maintenance of WINXP" isn't limited to XP - it includes Win9x, Win2K, and later Windows versions as well. Another overlapping place to check is the various msfn.org forums, where mechanisms (e.g., HFSLIP) for slipstreaming post-SP3 XP updates (and updates for other Windows versions) are described.