5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some excellent RSS alternatives to Google Reader

TOP STORY

Some excellent RSS alternatives to Google Reader

By Ryan Matthew Pierson

On July 1, Google will kill off (or retire, as the company puts it) Google Reader officially because of declining usage, but also perhaps for privacy issues, according to various reports.
    Whatever the reason, there are plenty of RSS-reader alternatives that make it easier to read the content you care about.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/some-excellent-rss-alternatives-to-google-reader (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was interesting reading this article, but the alternatives explained here are not suitable for everybody, of course. I use Google Reader because it's lean, it doesn't waste my time with a "content-rich experience", and I can access it from anywhere. I just use it to read a number of interesting blogs.

I use Thunderbird as my mail reader, so I could use the extension for RSS reading, but I don't want to - for two reasons. One is that my file of messages is quite big enough as it is - I don't want to download more. The other is that I would not then be able to access the content when I'm away from my home PC.

Is there an alternative out there which does what Google Reader does, the way it does it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using SharpReader, which appears to be as lean as Google Reader. It doesn't download the article, but can open it in your browser if you wish. For podcasts, Ziepod is a wonderful choice. Both of these are simple and run well in Windows.

Thanks
    As the Pulse mini-review indicates, the trend now is to go for tablet apps instead of RSS browser plugins or stand alone RSS readers. Windows 8, iPad and Android all use the Tiled Apps approach, and their Apps often resemble Pulse, only with more limited content. Even Google's Google Play Apps (developed for the now moribund Chrome OS) look and feel much more like Pulse than like more traditional RSS readers.

So unless your favorite browser or EMail Service still uses a RSS News Reader, you will eventually find yourself deciding between Tiled Apps or nothing at all.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bxcfilm View Post
    Is there an alternative out there which does what Google Reader does, the way it does it?
    take a look at The Old Reader. like you, i have no need for all the eye candy, or some application trying to figure out what i'm interested in and what i'm not. The Old Reader comes closer to duplicating the Google Reader interface than anything else i've found. be forewarned though, that apparently a lot of other people are moving to The Old Reader, and so it's running pretty slow these days (to which they readily admit and claim they are working to improve things). so it will take a while to import your current list of feeds (although you can build a new list immediately if you prefer). and i've found that sometimes it is slow in updating items. but all in all, i'm quite happy with it.

another possible alternative is igHome. Google is also abandoning their personalized Home Page, so i switched to igHome a while back and have been pleased with it as an alternative. you can add RSS feeds as widgets, so what i've done is created a separate page for all my RSS feeds, and that's worked out quite nicely -- and they don't seem to be having the performance issues that Old Reader is having. what i'm going to end up using at this point is up in the air -- but both of these alternatives make nice replacements for Google Reader, particularly if all you are interested in is content.

lee

Lounger
    Thanks
    forgot to mention, that a downside to both Old Reader and igHome is that neither have a mobile app. although igHome does have a fairly nice mobile interface via the browser.

lee

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I completely fail to see the point of RSS feeds. Don't you have newspapers? Are your lives so empty you must know this stuff, most of which is rubbish. Would not a complete story with comments from knowledgeable sources be more informative? This is for the braindead.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Reading news on my old Blackberry 7 was lean too like Google Reader. I picked up the new Blackberry Z10 last week when they hit the U.S. There's no native news reader anymore. Pulse and the other two mentioned in the story only have iOS and Android apps. I need something lean for my Z10. I really do miss my news. I just need the ability to skim headlines and then view the story or beginning of the story as needed, viewing from the webpage only occasionally. Skimming is mostly what I do. I'm a product of the short-attention span (old)age. If I want the app to look like a magazine, I'd buy a magazine.
    Daisy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lhite View Post
    forgot to mention, that a downside to both Old Reader and igHome is that neither have a mobile app. although igHome does have a fairly nice mobile interface via the browser. lee
    I have signed up for The Old Reader, and I'll see what it's like when my import gets to the front of the line <g>. The lack of a mobile app isn't a problem for me.

Lounger
    Thanks
    saw where Cory Doctorow uses NewsBlur, so decided to give that a try -- and so far, i think i like it best of all. very clean, simple interface that works exactly as you would expect. plus, it seems to have a bunch of other "social media" features that you can use if you like -- but if you don't, they stay out of the way and leave you with just a good old simple RSS reader. well designed.

also, even if you aren't interested in NewsBlur, this account of what the developer went through in the first days after the Google announcement and NewsBlur was swamped with new users is interesting.

Thanks
    I might totally be missing something here, but...If one's news feed list is constructed from RSS links right from a given site and not through a reader like Google's, then can't any desktop reader work? I get that one would have to "rebuild" their feed list, but aside from that, wouldn't a reader like Feed Demon still work fine?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Wordpress announcement

"...you can transfer subscriptions over from another feed reader. Google Reader users can import their subscriptions directly from Google Reader into the WordPress.com Reader..."