5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Margins and printable area problem

I've created a merge document based on an Avery 5163 label. Word set the margins when I created the label (New Document) as T: 0.5", B: 0", L: 0.16", R: 0.16.

I can print the label table, with "This is a test" in the first cell, without problem.

After I add merge codes, and logo to each label, when I print I get the message "The margins of Section 1 are outside the printable area....". I follow the MSKB advice and go into Page Setup and click OK. Same message, but Word offers to "Fix". I accept. The bottom margin is changed to 0.16". (The table doesn't come that close to the bottom of the page anyway.) I try to print again... same message, even after fixing.

Is it possible to avoid this message? When I proceed with printing, the printed document looks fine.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Though it may seem odd, try this: Go to Page Layout tab > Columns. Even if it is already selected, click One.
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, but this didn't help. Oddly, I have another document that I created in Word 2003 (I'm using 2010 now) with the same label sheet, same margins and other page settings: it prints as expected.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the font size & line spacing in each Word 2003 & Word 2010
    --- I believe the default fonts in each Word program is different. Maybe you have this part covered already but I thought I would mention it just in case

I would also check out the line spacing
    --- At the office I volunteer at, they have Office 2010 and I believe Word 2010 default line spacing is greater than Word 2003
    --- I'm not at the office right now so I can't verify any specifics but I hope the idea will be helpful

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get this all the time with my HP Laserjet. Just choose "Ignore" in the dialog offereing to fix the apparent margin problems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the Logo within the borders of the label, including "invisible" areas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the logo is within the borders of the label, with a .1" inside margin in fact. The label prints perfectly when I choose Ignore. This is being distributed to about 500 users, and we don't want to explain "Ignore".

I've changed the margins, and I don't get the message since doing so. But it's odd that the default margins from the Label feature would be problematic.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe the minimum outside margins acceptable for most printers is about a quarter inch, I often leave .3" around the outside to avoid problems. I don't often stop to investigate when I do get margin errors and click ignore too.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a Word anomaly and as suggested, you just have to press IGNORE.

I found that if you use a Word label from its Envelopes and Label wizard, it will print fine. But save the same sheet of labels as a template to reuse later, the next time you go to print it you get the interrupt. It's been like it for several generations of Word.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with your observation: the labels print correctly when freshly produced by the Labels feature. If the output document is saved as a template for re-use. the margins require a Fix.