4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re-posted: Question about Win 7 folder icons

I posted this question below, and was notified of a reply to it via e-mail. The reply was very long, and in a language I do not understand. I attempted to reply to the responder (beheosua3214), but was automatically logged out when I tried to post my reply, so I don't know if the reply went through. Every time I look at the original thread, I am logged out of the forum.
    I would like to contact the forum administrator to remove the entire thread, as there is clearly a problem here, but I don't know how to do that.

In any event, I'm re-posting my original question here. Sorry about the confusion, but I'm also confused about what's happening.

When I first got my new computer (running Win 7 Pro, SP1), empty folders showed on my desktop as a partially opened folder icon. When the folder was not empty, it showed as a partially opened folder with some documents visible.

Sometime during my fiddling with the system (and I do a LOT of fiddling), the icons for a non-empty folder changed, and now all folder icons show as an empty folder (although the tips that appear when I hover the mouse over the folder still show info about the contents).

So this brings up a couple of questions:

How can I get the folder icon behavior back to what it originally was?

How can I change folder icons globally (for example, if I just wanted icons that looked like XP's icons)?

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel > Folder Options and click on the "Restore Defaults" button. Let us know how that works.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been difficult for me to reply to your post, because every time I log in to the forum, as soon as I select a posting to reply to, I'm immediately logged out. I submitted my problem to the Windows Secrets team (using the contact tab above), but haven't received a reply yet. If an administrator is reading this, can you please fix the problem, or at least give me an explanation of why this is happening?

Anyway, bbearren, I think you were on the right track. In control panel>Folder Options, under the View tab, I had checked "Always show icons, never thumbnails." Unchecking this option fixed the problem.
    Thanks for your reply.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. After my reply to you, I also sent off an e-mail explaining my problem, but given my previous experience, I don't have high hopes of a timely response.
    I appreciate your effort on my behalf.

Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted out, and I'll let the Admins know about the problem with the thread.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. After my reply to you, I also sent off an e-mail explaining my problem, but given my previous experience, I don't have high hopes of a timely response.

OOPS! When I tried to submit this reply, I got the following message: "This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved." I don't know if I'll even get this posted, but I'll keep trying.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I get that message now and again as well but I was already savvy to the bugs in this forum. I really like the one that posts responses before the question! Haven't been signed out as I go to post though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post

OOPS! When I tried to submit this reply, I got the following message: "This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved." I don't know if I'll even get this posted, but I'll keep trying.
    You get that message if you start a reply and then try to go somewhere else before you click on Post Quick reply. Its there to prevent you from losing all your typing accidentally.
    Its saved me more than once.
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's the intended result of that routine check, but I've had it happen several times, using Post Quick Reply (not sure if it ever did the few times I use Go Advanced), and my immediate thought the first time it happened was, light bulb over the head, ah, this is how folks accidentally double post. Sure enough, when I closed that page and opened a new one and checked the thread, my post had already been incorporated.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-03-28 at 11:38. Reason: Added t to though : )