Thread: Update to SP1

New Lounger
    Thanks

Update to SP1

I have an HP G62 laptop that does not recognize any of my AC adaptors. I upgraded to a larger battery and an ssd drive. Is there some way that I can override the AC requirement to allow me to update to windows 7 SP1? Will the forced update that is coming allow me to override? Can I put the ssd, temporarily, into my desktop, update to sp1, then put it back into my laptop?

Thanks,

houstenh

Thanks
    Try downloading SP1 and installing it off-line:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5842

Select the one which corresponds to your computer and version of Windows.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would be concerned that your laptop doesn't work with your AC adapters.

Thanks
    How do you charge your laptop battery?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any of my Ac adapters
    HP’s AC adapters are model specific!!! They are manufactured to work on only certain HP models and not others. They incorporate a smart center pin which is used to tell the computer which adapter is used. Using an HP AC Adapter that is not designed for your model computer will cause the computer to disable the power input.
    You got to be extremely lucky to interchange HP AC Adapters.
    Michael

Thanks
    My guess is that he's getting a message that Windows does not recognize that there's an A/C adapter, when in fact he does have a good A/C adapter. Otherwise, there would have been more panic in his posting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    #4 I had to buy an external laptop battery charger.

#5 I'll double check and see if my adapters correspond to my model.

#6 Yea, I was panicking until I found the external laptop battery charger. Now, I am panicking if I am forced to upgrade to SP1 and am unable to.
    Last edited by houstenh; 2013-03-29 at 17:25.

Thanks
    If you are still operating this far along, then I'd say you have at least a functional A/C adapter, although it may not be a perfect match. Your battery would have died a long time ago if you didn't.

If your battery shows that it is fully charged, then I think you can safely install SP1. I'd recommend that you do, because there is no harm, and lots of benefit, in doing so.

Sometimes it works better when you download the whole thing and then install it off-line; that's why I suggested that.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-04-01 at 15:53.

Thanks
    Have you attempted to disable or uninstall the battery [Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Battery] in device manager just prior to the SP1 installation?
    It may also help resolve issues if your non standard AC adaptor that's plugged directly into the laptop is giving you errors of failure to charge.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, houstenh. there seems to be a bug in some laptop, mine is an IBM Thinkpad, where the MoBo will respond in a strange way to the battery charger circuitry, mine keeps saying : " Consider changing your battery " even if the icon says 100% and charging. This involves W-7 as an upgrade to an otherwise nicely working machine. I did not panic here and installed SP1, no sweat. Have a look at the other information concerning your battery, click on the icon in the Taskbar ! JP.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-04-05 at 08:32.