2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What’s the easiest way to transfer XP OE email to Windows 7?

What’s the easiest way to transfer email messages, addresses, and mailing lists from XP OE to Win7:

I've been trying to decide the easiest way to transfer email from my old Windows XP Outlook Express to my new Windows 7 Pro system, and I would appreciate any advice. My old XP Outlook Express system has thousands of email messages, hundreds of email addresses, and a half dozen mailing lists. The old system works fine, and I use it every day. I need to transfer everything (messages, addresses, and mailing lists) to my new Windows 7 system, hopefully quickly, easily and without losing anything. But I don't want to depend on the "cloud" for email storage as internet access is sometimes slow and intermittent in my location. Here are the options that I have considered:
    1. Install Thunderbird on my old system, transfer everything to it, then transfer that program and system to the new PC. Advantages include the fact that Thunderbird has been around a long time and I have the impression that it is pretty reliable. It's not Microsoft so it's clear that all storage of email and addresses is local. Also, the user interface seems similar to Outlook Express. I'm not sure, however, how well it imports mailing lists, which is essential.
    2. Import everything into Windows Live Mail on the new system, but I have the impression that WLM is less reliable than Thunderbird, and I'm not quite sure whether WLM stores messages locally or in the "cloud." Also, I'm not sure whether WLM correctly imports OE mailing lists. And since it's a Microsoft product, it's often unclear to me how it's connected to other Microsoft products.

Are there better options, or clarifying comments about the two options listed above? Thanks for any comments.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out link below. Thunderbird is the closest email client to Outlook Express and I found it to be a very satisfactory substitute.
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...f=28&t=2065217

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Windows Live Mail stores mail locally. There is a wide variety of opinion about WLM. I have found it to be acceptable but note that I have not used it since I've installed Windows 8. Outlook has always been my primary email application. I used WLM for a couple of non-essential accounts with low volume that I did not want in Outlook. I would not consider WLM less reliable than Thunderbird. Also, note that Mozilla is not actively developing Thunderbird - see Thunderbird: Stability and Community Innovation and Thunderbird/New Release and Governance Model.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Believe it or not, I am STILL trying to transfer my email system from my old XP system to my new W7 system, and having no luck so far. I installed Thunderbird 17.0.0.5 on my old XP system and told it to import everything with the intention of transferring the Thunderbird system to my new PC. The address book and mailing lists were imported apparently successfully, but existing email messages were not. In fact, there were no messages at all displayed in the Thunderbird system and I couldn't find any after looking around. I tried importing everything again with similar results, although the second time there were a number of email folders called "Search Folders" created but they didn't seem to contain anything.

So I am quite frustrated. It's hard to believe that Thunderbird doesn't work on my system, but my system is not unusual so I don't know what's going on. I removed Thunderbird from my XP system so that it doesn't interfere with ongoing email work.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for how to easily move email to my new W7 system, as described in the first post above? It's hard to believe that this should be so confusing or difficult.

Thanks for any other comments.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook Express stores email messages in DBX files which are located in the

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Identity-GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

I would find these files on your XP machine and transfer the entire folder with all of its subfolders onto a flash drive. Then insert the flash drive into your W7 machine and then try to import them with your email program Tbird or WLM and point to the files on the flash drive as the source.