Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 Multilevel Numbering

I have a set of heading styles I use for document appendices that lose the multilevel numbering sequence after level 2. My first level is A, B, C, and itís linked to my Heading 6 style. The second level (Heading 7) uses the numbering from level 1 and applies a numeric level 2 numbering, A.1, A.2, etc. When the level in Heading 6 changes, the level in Heading 7 follows suit, B.1, B.2, etc. So now I want a level 3 that is linked to my Heading 8 style, which would number A.1.1, A.1.2, etc. I tell it to use the numbering from level 1, and that works fine. The problem is in the numeric numbering. Instead of continuing the A.1.1, what I get is A.1. I tried designating Legal style numbering at level 2, but then I lose the ability to include the level 1 numbering.

Just to confuse things further, I have some custom styles Iíve created, with the same numbering system as above, linked to my custom styles (Appendix Heading 1, etc.). Levels 1, 2, and 3 work fine. I lose the numbering scheme and it resets to A.1 at level 4, just like it does in the example above. In other words, I have one set of styles that wonít go beyond the third level, and another set of the same type of styles that wonít go beyond the second level. How can I get the third and fourth levels to recognize the numbering used in the previous levels? Iíve considered the possibility that I may need to replace the Normal template and start over from scratch, but would rather exhaust all other options before I go that route. I donít see a way to reset the numbering. If anybody has any suggestions, Iím all ears!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like you have not included all the previous level numbers needed at each level. You mention telling "it to use the numbering from level 1", but not fro level 2. If that's the case, there's no need to replace normal.dotm.

You can redo your lists from scratch following Shauna Kelly's advice. Because you have several multilevel lists in one template (normal.dotm), using list styles, as Shaunna suggested, may offer you more stability than regular multilevel lists--though stability is probably not the problem here.

If your lists are already list styles or if you just want to fix what you have... In the Define new multilevel list or Modify Style dialog, as appropriate, temporarily set the start at values for levels two, three, and four to 2, 3, and 4. The Enter formatting for number box for level three should look like A.2.3 and the preview for level three should look like A.2.1 Heading 8. If you see A.3, you'll need to include level number from 2. If you see A.2, you need to add level 3. Once all levels have the right numbers in the right order, change the start at value back to 1 and OK out of the dialog.
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That doesn't work either. I have one set of headings (Heading 1, 2, 3, etc.) that use legal style numbering and I can go to as many levels as I want with that series. Now I need a second series that I want to start at level 6 (linked to Heading 6). Level 6 numbering is Appendix A (with the alpha number; the "Appendix" is manually typed in). Level 7 is A.1, level 8 should be A.1.1, level 9 should be A.1.1.1, etc., all with numeric numbering as well as the "A" numbering from level 1. As soon as I get to my third level of numbering, I lose the sequence; what should be A.1.1 is A.1. If I include the numbering from level 2 and not level 1, I get 1.1, no "A." If I manually type in the "A," then when I want to go from level 2 in my document to level 1 (from Appendix A to Appendix B), the "A" won't progress to "B" in my second level numbering, and manually changing the "B" to "A" will change the alpha designator in my Appendix A to B in the second level numbering. Were you able to create two sets of numbering as I have described?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As soon as I get to my third level of numbering, I lose the sequence; what should be A.1.1 is A.1. If I include the numbering from level 2 and not level 1, I get 1.1, no "A."
    If you want A.1.1 to show up in the text, you must have the number fields for levels 6, 7, and 8 in the enter formatting for number box. They must be entered from the Include number from.

Do you lose the sequence in the numbering dialog as well as in the document? If the sequence is correct in the dialog but wrong in the document then conflict between lists could be the problem. As I understand from your last post, you have one multilevel list that links to headings 1 to 9, but you also want to link headings 7 to 9 to another list. A style can only be linked to one list at a time within a document. The levels in last-applied list are the ones that get linked to the paragraph style, with the number level's settings incorporated into the style's settings. I've not tried to do that so I don't know if an attempt would result in what you are seeing.
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Each of my number levels is linked to a different style. But I think I finally just got it! Like you said, I have to tell it to Include level number from level 1 at level 2, which I had done. Then go to level 3 and put my cursor at the END of the number series in the Enter formatting for this number, which I wasn't doing. My cursor was sitting at the beginning of that box. And, like you said, when I get to a level that doesn't include any of the series before it, I have to include ALL of them, beginning with level 1. Thanks! I've been working in this program since 1996, and I'd swear the earlier versions were easier to use! Or maybe I'm just getting old!
    Last edited by slr509; 2013-03-28 at 19:06.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The only thing that's significantly different in that dialog is the neat new way we can set number positions (aka paragraph indents). The part about inserting all the number levels you want is the same as before. But it is tons easier to use a built-in list

And getting old has nothing to do with it. I'm probably older than you.

Cheers
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my experience, it's problematic to use Headings 1, 2, 3 and 4 for numbering in the main document, and Headings 6, 7 and 8 for numbering in another section, e.g. Appendix. This would mean that Heading 6 is not preceded by Heading 5, and that typically causes Word to get "confused." It's not easy to predict what problems will occur, but there generally are problems, and they might not raise their head until the document is finished and editing is under way.

I know that this trick was used frequently in earlier versions of Word, but I think each version of Word has become a bit more finicky about being tricked.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the old days, I used my own custom styles for the appendices. But the nice thing about the built-in heading styles is that I can specify the chapter number in the page numbering and don't have to manually enter the appendix number in the table of contents. I've been using the built-in styles for several years and haven't yet run into any problems. At least until I had to go deeper into the number series and couldn't remember how I had set up the numbering system in the first place.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I am new to this forum and have joined after a frustrating search for information. I am trying to put together a document template which contains multiple multi-level lists which are linked to heading styles. This is what I want in my document:
    Section A
    A Heading 1
    A.1 Heading 2
    A.1.1 Heading 3
    A.1.1.1 Heading 4

Section B
    B Heading 1
    B.1 Heading 2
    B.1.1 Heading 3
    B.1.1.1 Heading 4

Section B(i)
    B(i) Heading 1
    B(i).1 Heading 2
    B(i).1.1 Heading 3
    B(i).1.1.1 Heading 4

Section B(ii)
    B(ii) Heading 1
    B(ii).1 Heading 2
    B(ii).1.1 Heading 3
    B(ii).1.1.1 Heading 4

Section C
    C Heading 1
    C.1 Heading 2
    C.1.1 Heading 3
    C.1.1.1 Heading 4

Section D
    D Heading 1
    D.1 Heading 2
    D.1.1 Heading 3
    D.1.1.1 Heading 4

Section E
    E Heading 1
    E.1 Heading 2
    E.1.1 Heading 3
    E.1.1.1 Heading 4

I need all the number lists to be linked to heading styles for the purpose of generating a table of contents and because I also need to insert captions for tables and figures which are linked to the appropriate section heading (usually heading 2). I also want to be able to generate a table of figures and table of tables at the beginning of my documents. The problem I am having is with the B(i) and B(ii) sections. I am able to happily work away with just the A, B, C, D etc but when I want to have the B(i) and B(ii) in the same document everything goes pear shaped! I can create and use both B(i) and B(ii) in separate documents and past them into the main documents but I am not able to generate a table of contents that recognizes the B(i) and B(ii).

Is there some way for me to have all these in one document??

Thanks for your help! Kate

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it is possible to produce that kind of numbering stream but you will need to be quite creative with the B(x) section. You can't change the pattern of a numbering scheme without it rippling through the rest of the document so it can't all be in the same outline list unless you are not going past Heading 4 in those sections and Heading 5 in your other sections eg
    Section B(i)
    B(i) Heading 6
    B(i).1 Heading 7
    B(i).1.1 Heading 8
    B(i).1.1.1 Heading 9

Rather than get stuck with that limitation, I would do this as a separate outline level list and create a series of styles just for those sections. Adding them to the TOC is a simple matter of editing the TOC field to include those styles. What is not so easy is getting a caption to include the nearest preceding heading number. You will need to do this by using a styleref field in the Bx sections.

Post a sample doc which has your main outline numbering added to it and we can edit it directly to show you how you might go about doing this.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

k8ledfield (2013-07-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Template

Ok this is sounding promising. I have spent a significant amount of time trying to get this to work and you are right that when I change the pattern of the numbering scheme there is a ripple effect! I don't intend for any of the headings to go beyond heading 4 it just gets too messy. I have tried creating new styles and adding them to the table of contents but it hasn't worked for me but perhaps it was they way I was creating the styles. The captions for figures and tables are very important I have yet to work out how to do this so am keen to see the solution!
    I think I have created my outline numbering appropriately. I've just put in some dummy headings at this stage so there is something to work with. I will fix up the tabs and spaces later. I hope I have attached the document properly....Thank you very much for your help!
    Submission Template.docx

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Attached is a version which does what you asked. This one is using a single outline numbering stream since you said you wouldn't go past Heading 4. If you reveal the field codes for the captions and TOCs you can see how they are put together.

Unfortunately, if you want to number the figures and tables according to the heading that precedes it then you have a massive job to always micromanage the levels it refers back to. This will require you to edit the caption fields directly because the built-in methods of adding a caption have a nasty habit of thinking you want that heading level to be used in all captions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

k8ledfield (2013-07-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew, I thought there might be some issues with the captions for my figures and tables. There are A LOT of tables in the documents that I create so I guess we will be up with a big battle to make this work. You are saying that I will have to manually alter Figure B.1 for example to say B(i).1 or Table B.1 to say Table B(i).1 right? I am grateful for your help with the heading numbering it has been driving me crazy!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The document looks fantastic by the way extremely relieved to have a solution! Thank you again! Kate

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The captions are done using fields but since you asked for the caption to include the preceding heading number the complexities arise. The problem is that sometimes a figure appears after a heading 2 / heading 3 / heading 4 etc. This presents a problem since the field code must be told which heading is above. It is much simpler if you roll all these up to the chapter level so you don't need to get the fields resetting after every heading.

In each caption there is two fields
    The first field refers to the preceding heading of a particular level eg. {StyleRef 2 \s} tells Word to show the number for the preceding Heading 2
    The second field also refers to the preceding heading of a particular level {SEQ Table \* ARABIC \s 2} tells Word to show a sequence number called Table, using arabic numerals and restart counting after a Heading 2.

If you change sections around and the preceding headings change levels then you will need to fiddle each field code to adjust it to match the preceding heading level.

I normally avoid this issue by labelling captions without including the chapter number. I just start at 1 and keep incrementing. Your desire to include lower level heading numbering in the captions causes you plenty of grief and IMO isn't worth doing unless you use macros to insert and correct caption numbering.

I suspect that numbering graphics the way you are doing is a carry over from the typewriter era when you had to do this to minimise numbering issues when early chapters are edited after the initial drafting. Those problems simply don't exist with the document production methods we have in modern times and yet people still do things the old way through force of habit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast