New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy C: Drive Free Space Low but 2 reports differ.Why?

I have a HP dv2000 running Windows 7, the hard drive 160 GB's. Doing a right click on C: and properties shows Free Space around a nominal 10GB and 136GB Used Space. This does not change much after removing programs, moving data to external USB hard drives and so on. C Drive Props.JPG
    However I ran Acronis Disc Director and it reported Used Space 39GB and Free Space 109GB ( round figures in each case ). This does seem to fit what I guesstimate my Programs size to be so what's filling up the rest?

I've also run Folder Size and this agrees with the Windows C: drive Properties figure. What am I to believe and how can I recover Free Space that I think I should have and what's messing up the drive contents? I've attached the "Folder Size" pie chart report which I hope will help some wise soul give me a lead to answer this problem before I'm obiged to a total fresh install. Acronis Disc Director Suite Report.JPG

Help Please, & Thanks in Anticipation.
    Colruss.

Thanks
    I would suggest opening an Administrators level Command Prompt (right-click the shortcut and select "Run as administrator" and type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes). You'll get a dialog box saying the drive is in use, and asking if you want to schedule chkdsk to run at the next restart. Type "y" (without the quotes) and hit enter, then exit the Command Prompt and reboot.

Chkdsk might take a while to run, but don't stop it and let it run to completion.

--edit-- Forgive my manners; welcome to the Lounge!
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-03-28 at 13:35.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Treesize Free to see where all the space has gone.

cheers, Paul