Star Lounger
    Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia)
    Thanks

typing accents in Word 2003

I don't know if a similar topic already exists(I haven't been here for long time), but, anyway, I will post it.

I have problem adding accents to Serbian Latin and Cyrillic letters.

Actually, there are no proper symbols that can be inserted using Insert-Symbol dialog box.

I send file with these symbols(symbols were found on one forum and I copied them in attached file).

(OK, Latin small and capital letter R, written in a manner as in the case of a Cyrillic version-see the last row of that version, is missed.)

If anyone have any idea how to do this, I will be very thankful.

(I configured my keyboard to write both Cyrillic and Latin letters, so it's not problem.)

Slaven
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do not try to add an accent after typing a letter when starting out. In a blank space go to the INSERT SYMBOL dialog box

Where it says font (top left corner), it should say (normal text) and the subset (top right corner) you would be cyrillic or latin-1. Check the subsets, because there are quite a few. When you change the subset to cyrillic, you will see a number of your accented letters. ALSO, notice in the dialog box, that when you select a character, there will be a 4-digit number associated at the bottom (see shortcut key). If you are into memorizing, you can usually hold down the ALT key, and on the NUMBER pad, type the 4-digit number (ex. ALT-0438) that is associated with the letter. You can assign shortcuts of your own. There are other ways to do it as well.

Thanks
    I know how to type accented characters in a Latin-based language in Word. Perhaps the same applies to the other languages.

The idea is, you make a "combined" character. First you type the accent, then you type the letter. The same for other markings such as the tilde (~) over the N or n.

As an example, we'll make an accented lower-case "e".

While holding the ctrl key, hit the single quote. (It looks like an accent, and that's what it is used for when you create a combined character.)
    Now hit lower-case "e" (without holding the ctrl key).

You will find that you have an accented lower-case "e".

Same logic applies for an n (or N) with a tilde over it. Keep in mind that you have to hold the shift key when you hit the tilde key, because it is the "shifted" character on that key.

To put an umlaut (two dots) over a U or a u, you will use the colon key (it's an umlaut turned sideways).

Hopefully this will give you all the characters you need.

As an alternative, you can run Character Map (charmap.exe), copy what you need from there, and then paste it into Word.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can enter Unicode sequences to get Cyrillic (and other) characters. Refer to this Penn State page for a list of characters and the associated 4-digit codes for Russian, Serbian and other languages.

As an example, the э character shows the code &# 1101 ; (for use in HTML) so in Word, press the Alt key and on the numeric keypad, type 1101. If you have a lot to enter, this method isn't as convenient as remapping your keyboard, but it is very handy for occasional words.

Note that not all fonts have the extended Unicode character set.
    Last edited by EricFletcher; 2013-03-29 at 16:40. Reason: The code was interpreted as the character