Thread: Avast reset

Lounger
    Thanks

Avast reset

My free version of Avast antivirus keeps canceling the 365 day registration and tells me I need to buy the pro version. I've reinstalled the free version 3 times now and the same keeps happening after a day or two. Anyone know what's up with that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Avast too, but haven't had that issue. I found their support forum useful in the past though.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/support

Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently I'm not the only one with this issue. The Avast support site showed that others are experiencing the same. No real solutions though. I guess I'll give it another try at uninstall/reinstall and see what happens. Thanks for the link

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure you also go through the registry and delete any Avast entries. I've had instances where Avast "remembered" stuff across an uninstall/reinstall because the registry keys were still there.

After running the uninstaller, go into your program files folder and delete the "ALWIL Software" folder and the "Avast Software" folder if they exist, then go into the registry and delete the keys:

[HKCR\Software\ALWIL Software]
    [HKCR\Software\Avast Software]
    [HKLM\Software\ALWIL Software]
    [HKLM\Software\Avast Software]

After that you should be able to do a fresh install of Avast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    My free version of Avast antivirus keeps canceling the 365 day registration and tells me I need to buy the pro version. I've reinstalled the free version 3 times now and the same keeps happening after a day or two. Anyone know what's up with that?
    Have you registered it. ?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    If you are squeamish about playing in the registry, CCleaner Registry cleaner might help to eliminate these keys. I use the registry portion only when I uninstall apps to help find leftover stuff.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Avast have a tool to properly uninstall the program called aswclear.exe, which can be downloaded from the avast website. If I remember rightly when you run the tool it prompts you to restart in Safe Mode, and when you restart the avast uninstaller window opens and you uninstall the program from there. Try using this tool and then restart and reinstall avast. This method should solve the problem.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread