New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to get write access to C: and D: partitions in User Limited ID

I recently did a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 on my laptop. I have done this many times before. I created an Administrator ID, then an ID I plan to use with limited rights for doing most of my work. After I changed it to limited rights I am unable to create files on either the C: (OS partition installed here) or D: partition. I get a cryptic message that that the folder is read only and I am denied access. No problem with admin rights on the same user ID. I have searched through all the security and disk management tools and can find nothing to change for sharing, access, etc.

After the OS was loaded and I had basic drivers installed, I changed the DVD drive letter to Q: and noted that I "changed user rights" limiting my original administrative rights ID so that "folders/files can not be seen by others". I suspect this is where I deviated from past installs, but can't figure out how to get a limited rights ID to be allowed to create files and folders anywhere but the "My Documents" folder on C:. Does anybody have a solution? Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The whole point of a limited user is the inability to write to critical areas of the disk - everywhere except your private folders.
    I suggest you logon as the admin user and change the permissions on D: to whatever you require.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to get write access to C: and D: partitions in User Limited ID

I thought that changing permissions would be a simple task, but so far I have been unable to find a way to change the state of the ability to write to the partitions with a limited user ID. I am not on a domain, so have been using simple file sharing. I found an article that discussed changing permissions on the Lounge, but the referenced MS knowledge base stated that was only for computers on a domain, but you could look at permissions by unchecking simple file sharing. I did that and allowed all access to the partition except the ability to change permissions for every limited user account in the list. Still no change when the ID has limited rights. What really baffles me is that I have re-installed Win XP on dozens of machines as I upgrade hard drive size on my progression of laptops and have never had this problem. It almost appears to be in the hard drive firmware or system BIOS. I see no options in the BIOS to change...yet.

Thanks for your perspective!

Thanks
    Hi bsantana,

If the admin account had a password, you should be allowed to do so by inputting the password.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need "Authenticated Users" to have "modify" permission.
    Can you post a screen shot of existing permissions?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Permissions?

Paul,
    Not sure where to get this information. I found this (attached) under Local Policies|User Rights Assignments. I'm guessing I need to go somewhere else, but need a little help in navigating there.

Unfortunately, I deleted the "Limited Rights" account, as it was useless, but I could easily set it back up if there is a glimmer of hope getting a limited rights User access to the C: and D: partitions...or even the D: partition as I have rights to "My Documents" on C:. Thanks for your help!

Barry
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The default so called account types with their associated privileges in XP are pretty much all or nothing. To do advanced policy editing in XP (Pro only), you need the MMC snap-in module for Computer Management. I think the MS philosophy is that if you need to use it, you know where to find it.

Thanks
    Temporarily add Administrator rights to the limited-rights account. Then try to access the drives in question while logged in on that account. Each time you try to access a new drive or resource, it will force you to confirm that that's what you want to do. By doing this, you will be adding access to that resource on the "limited-rights" account.

Once you have acquired access to all the resources you want, take away the administrator rights from the account. You should still, however, have access to the resources in question on that account.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

bsantana (2013-04-09)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Access to C: and D:

Thanks for the tip about accessing each partition with the User ID having Admin rights. I did that and it works on the C: partition. It appeared to work the first time around on the D: partition as well, however after a restart it still will not allow me to save to the root directory, D: partition. I can save to folders on either partition.

The procedure I used was to give the user rights ID Admin rights. Save files to both root partitions, then change the User ID that I wanted to have limited rights, back to limited rights. It worker until I did a restart, then access was denied to the D: partition root directory. No problems on C:. I have fiddled around looking at permissions, etc. in the Admin ID and one of the folders I created on D: as an Admin user was designated as "read only". When I tried to uncheck this box I got a reference to the DVD/CD drive. Early in the setup process I had changed the DVD/CD drive letter to Q: (as I usually do). I'm wondering if somehow the OS thinks the D: partition still has CD/DVD properties and of course no ability to write to the drive. Looking at properties it appears to be identified as a standard hard drive, but I'm just wondering.

I guess now I can live with the limited rights User ID having only access to folders created on the D: drive, but this certainly is mysterious.

Thanks for your help! I got halfway there and have a workaround now.

Thanks
    It's odd that you can save to the root of C:, but not to the root of D:. That sort of behavior seems to indicate that in some way Windows is treating D: as the primary drive. Because you would expect that sort of behavior with the C: drive, but not with any other drive.

This is the reason that whenever I install Windows, I ALWAYS disconnect all drives except for the one I want to install Windows on, and then I reconnect everything AFTER the install has successfully completed.

If you can save to folders on D:, at least you have something. To try to resolve this further will likely be a huge chore, and may not even be successful. I think you're seeing a bug in Windows, which means that it will take a lot of doing to work around it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-04-09 at 16:05.