4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I stop receiving this kind of junk mail?

I seem to be receiving a lot of e-mails (2 or 3 a week) with apparently meaningless e-mail addresses. An example is shown below (although no 2 addresses are ever the same):

"absenteetolueneCalcuttaboxcollector@crossbill.Cha ngeHighWonder.com"

Of course, I immediately send them to the trash, but why am I receiving them in the first place? They're not addressed to me, so how come they even arrive in my inbox?

I don't want anybody (even my ISP) to filter ANY e-mail that's properly addressed to me (not even spam - I'll take care of filtering that myself). But I do want to keep EVERY piece of e-mail that's not addressed to me out of my inbox. How can I do that?

I was wondering how to create a filter based on the length of the address that would automatically dispatch these messages to the trash. Not one piece of legitimate e-mail that I've received has had an address as long as the one in the example above.

Or maybe create a filter for e-mail that's not properly addressed directly to me.

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 as my e-mail client, and while I'm able to create message filters with it, it does not allow me to do what I have suggested above.

Any ideas?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you look at the raw email you will see your address in the email, along with the rubbish address.
    You cannot prevent spam, once they have your email you get spam. All you can do is use a junk filter to limit it's effect.

Thunderbird has a very good junk filter, but the current version is 17.0.4. How have you managed to retain what appears to be a very old version?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, how do I see the raw e-mail? Ive been wary of opening these types of e-mail because I'm not sure it's safe to do so; I just see them in the preview pane, and immediately delete them.

I've kept this version of T-Bird because my needs are simple, and it does everything I want. Like everything else in the computer world, programs have evolved (if you choose to call it that) to meet corporate or business needs; I am neither a corporation nor a business, just a retiree that has limited cyber needs, and the earlier, simpler, and more stable programs work better for me. I'm not a Luddite (I'm a retired physicist who's been using computer for more than 25 years), I just don't aspire to have anything more than I need, for as long as that's possible.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I think Ctrl U shows the raw data.

Like you I don't want the latest wonder gadget, but I keep up to date AV, browser and mail clients because security patches are an important part of your safe surfing arsenal.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You gave no clue as to your email provider (your actual email address) and that's OK,
    but I've been using email as long as it's been available and a mailbox on a PC Bulletin Board before that.

The best email provider I've ever used is GMail. It has a very good Spam Blocker and you can set up filters for repeated email that you just don't want to be bothered with.
    And if you change ISP's like so many people do, you don't have to change your email address.

GMail can also be set up easily in almost any email program, Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express (which I'm still using) ,
    Windows Mail or even Windows Live Mail.

I even have Windows Mail activated in Windows 8, because I like its similarity to my old favorite, "Outlook Express 6".
    I call Windows Mail, OE6 on Steroids.

I program in all my email addresses and then set the timer to check my mail every three minutes.

My current block list at GMail is over fifty lines long, and growing.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-03-31 at 12:48.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dr. Who,
    Thanks for replying.
    My ISP is Comcast. I haven't checked their server-side filtering options yet, but I will.
    My problem is not blocking an e-mail that I've already received; it immediately goes to my blocked list. The problem is that I never receive one of these e-mails with the same address twice, so it's hard to block future e-mails.
    At this point, I like Comcast e-mail and even if I opened a GMail account, it's not worth my effort to change e-mail addresses in who knows how many places. If Comcast ever disappoints enough for me to change providers, I'll handle that task at the time.