New Lounger
    Thanks

Replicated Application Data Folders

Running Windows 8, upgraded from Win 7.
    I've found in C:\users\name\Appdata\local another Application Data folder, and in that another Application Data folder, and so on to an unknown depth. The only problem that I have seen is with Genie Backup Manager which is backing up multiple copies of what it finds in these folders.
    I saw that it has something to do with junctions - but have not found a method to fix it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks
    The "Application Data" folder is actually a junction point. There are about 10 junction points in "C:\Users\<username>\. I'm not familiar with Genie Backup Manager (I use only drive images for backup), but if it can be configured to ignore certain folders, I would advise you to use a command prompt to drill down to the <username> folder, and type "dir /al" (without the quotes) to get a list of the junction points, and exclude all of them from being backed up.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Actually, I wouldn't worry about the junction points in backups. Every backup program I know of handles them just fine and they won't add significantly to backup size or time.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't worry about the junction points in backups. Every backup program I know of handles them just fine and they won't add significantly to backup size or time.

Jerry
    That's not what the OP said:
    Quote Originally Posted by w2le@ View Post
    The only problem that I have seen is with Genie Backup Manager which is backing up multiple copies of what it finds in these folders.
    I saw that it has something to do with junctions - but have not found a method to fix it.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I've found in C:\users\name\Appdata\local another Application Data folder, and in that another Application Data folder, and so on to an unknown depth. The only problem that I have seen is with Genie Backup Manager which is backing up multiple copies of what it finds in these folders.
    Its backing up multiple copies of Appdata (not a junction point) as well as Application Data (junction point). Something weird is going on or Genie Backup Manager is not compatible with Windows 8. I'd contact Genie customer support.

Jerry

Thanks
    While AppData is not a junction point, AppData\Local contains a junction point, "Application Data [C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local]".

Since I don't use any "backup" software of any kind, I'm not familiar with any of them. But what the OP is getting is a recursive loop. That could be the result of some problem within Windows, but if there is an option in the backup software to exclude certain files/folders, excluding the Junction Points should eliminate the immediate problem.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    That's a definite possibility.

Jerry