Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost all lost

New Lounger
    Thanks

Almost all lost

After 15 years the big bomb finally hit. Arriving home from a stay in the hospital, I turned on the computer and the opening page came on. That was as far as it went. No program would access the net. After hours on the telephone, my ISP could not find the answer why. It seems much, much was scrambled.

My local guru was able to save some parts of various items; such as emails, history, documents, etc, but much was totally lost. He reformatted and installed what he had been able to save.

Now to my question. Mostly following Susan, I keep my 64 bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 updated on a regular basis. It now appears that none of the updates from the time I purchased the computer have been installed. There about 120 of updates ready to be installed.

Susan continues to tell us which should be installed and which should not. I have no way of now knowing which she has told us to install. What do I do?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What do I do?

Restore the latest of the many images you have made over the months preceding the crash. It shouldn't take more than twenty minutes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you are wondering which ones shouldn't be installed consider the following ideas because trying to figure out which ones shouldn't be installed would turn out to be a monumental task
    --- Also don't be surprised if you end up with more than 120 updates in the end

When you do your updates just make sure you restart the computer when required to do so
    --- You can create a restore point before you start as well as after each required restart
    --- This will be more time consuming but it will allow you to test your computers functionallity if you are concerned about any update that probably "shouldn't have been installed"

I would like to mention browser updates
    --- Know what browser version you have
    --- For example I have had friends who had IE8 and IE9 was in their list to update to
    --- I don't recommend doing Windows Updates for the next version of IE (or any other browser) until all normal updates are completed
    --- My friends became confused when they realized configuring the an IE update would pop up in the middle of what they were doing

Thanks
    Luckily, successful Windows Updates are best installed upon a clean and unencumbered OS.
    Unencumbered meaning, without preinstalled drivers, programs, and other after the fact tweaks & settings.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-03-30)

Thanks
    Unfortunately Clint, many people do not follow our advice until disaster strikes. That's called job security!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Yes, sadly [sigh], I know.

Another instance in which an image restored, could have saved the day.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What are images?

royo

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What do I do?

Restore the latest of the many images you have made over the months preceding the crash. It shouldn't take more than twenty minutes.

Thanks
    A Guide to Disk Imaging, Backup and Restore
    March 19, 2012 by ninefingers.

B a c k i n g U p Y o u r C o m p u t e r
    (Another all-encompassing article on the topic of computer backup)

There are also plenty of opinions on image creation apps and how to's in the Maintenance section of the Lounge.

If you are still using Windows XP or 2000, Fred Langa has plenty of articles archived here. They are still highly relevant in many instances.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-03-29 at 20:49.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

allman71 (2013-03-30)

Thanks
    With an up to date Image, I can get back to pre-disaster setup in less than half an hour. Generally just getting my OS partition back takes less than 10 minutes.

I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday. Some create more, and unfortunately some create only semi-annual or annual Images. If your Image is 6 months old let's say, how many changes, updates and apps have changed during those 6 months. All these changes would have to be re-implemented after restoring your Image. In my case, my Image is less than 1 month old. Plus I create a new Image between patch Tuesdays if something else changes, say I install a new app, etc. In this way after I restore an Image, there is no need for further updating.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm anal, and I like to play around. I take an image of my OS partition and one of my data partition each morning while I eat breakfast.

Last week I screwed up my system trying something. I restored my morning image in less than 10 minutes and was good to go.

Anyone reading this forum who still doesn't take images habitually needs to take a good look in the mirror . . .

Dick

Thanks
    I agree Dick. I do not create Images as often as you, but then again I do not have changes as often anymore (I used to when I had the time, but not now). I do however believe that an Image prior to a change is appropriate whenever possible. This way if the change causes an untoward problem, as you mentioned, it's very easy to recover.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    As to which updates to apply, Susan's advice does not apply to clean installs or rebuilding Windows completely. In these cases, it's best to apply all offered updates, rebooting as needed, and expect more updates to show up when you run MS Updates again. Repeat until nothing more shows up. IE 9 is the latest IE version for Vista, and it is stable, so get it in there and update it also.

Then make a Full System Image, make a second copy of that Image to media or a second external drive, and move on with programs restoration from there. Image again when done with the entire restoration. System Images should be done a couple of times a month for most users. I don't like Incremental or Differential Backups, so I always start fresh with Full System Image Backups I do backups of important data separately, using just Windows copy/paste. Again, two copies in two external locations.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-04-04 at 07:08.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    As to which updates to apply, Susan's advice does not apply to clean installs or rebuilding Windows completely.
    Why not? Did she say so?

Bruce

Thanks
    Sorry gang, I don't know Susan, but after 30+ years of doing this stuff, I probably wouldn't pay any attention to her anyway.
    Sorry Girl!

As for updates to a fresh install (I do that often) just get the darn updates and you won't be bugged to get them later on.
    It's the updates that you DON'T get that will come back to haunt you.

Images? If you make a copy of a document on a copy machine, for archival purposes, you've made a backup Image.

Similarly, on a computer if you run a Backup program and make a copy of your C drive, you've made an Image.

One HUGE mistake so many novices make when doing backups.....their backup/restore program is only on their C drive.
    When that drive crashes or otherwise gets messed up, they can't run their Restore program to restore a backup Image.

To be effective and SAFE, your Backup/Restore program should be on some removable media. Originally backup programs came on floppy disks. Then they got to big to fit on a floppy, so a CD became the media of choice.
    Nowadays, many people have their Backup/Restore program on a bootable Flash Drive. But no matter what the media you use, it must be able to boot up your computer and run the software if your C drive has totally shot craps and had to be replaced by a new hard drive.

Since 1997, I've used a program written in New Zealand, called simply "Ghost". It's now owned by Symantec Corp. and today is a windows only program. In 2005 the last DOS bootable version was written (Ghost 11.5) and that's the version I still use.
    It will back up any version of MS-Windows and even some versions of Linux. Since it only runs in DOS, it's not limited by any version of any OS.

My favorite saying for many years has been, "the only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make".

From the guy who says, "I backup every day" to the guy who has never backed up Anything in his/her life, there is a huge gap in the way that the PC community regards their data.

Me? Oh I backup whenever I think of it. That's usually one or two times a week.
    But, I do backup my data files every time I update or add something to them. That could be several times in a day.
    I use a backup batch file, using XCOPY, that backs up only newly added files or files that I've changed since the last backup.
    So, my data backup only takes a few seconds. Those backups go to two distinct locations. The first is a 32 GB Flash drive which I leave installed in my USB 3.0 Add-On card. The second location is a 1TB external (2.5") hard drive.
    If one should fail, I always have the other.

At least two of us, old timers, who have been bitten by the Hard Drive Crash bug, now backup often and encourage others to do the same.....read our Signature Lines. We all speak from experience.

Whatever Backup program you decide to use, remember, it absolutely MUST be able to be run from a Bootable CD or it's worth nothing. Some of the best backup programs are also FREE.

Last but not least: Your backup image files should not be on your main hard drive, just in case it goes up in smoke.
    Make your backups to an external hard drive or burn them to DVD's.

Thus endeth Backups 101.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    royo, I agree with everyone else, do all of the updates and did you get your computer up & running ok?
    --- There are a lot of good backup ideas but you won't be able to focus on a back up plan until the above is completed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast