Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't like the way text documents look on my monitor with Win 7

Ever since I switched from XP to Win 7 (new computer, new display adapter, same monitor), the text on my display (for example, when viewing a Word document) doesn't look quite right. It's hard to describe what's wrong precisely, but he letters appear to be of inconsistent darkness (saturation might be a better word), and lack the contrast of my old system.

I tried using the Win 7 Clear Type feature, and it does clarify the text in word and other documents, but for viewing smaller text (such as my e-mail inbox listing, or this post), I see some color bleeding (usually red) between closely spaced vertical lines (such as a double lower case L in a word). Without Clear Type, documents with smaller text are crisp, vertical lines are 1 pixel wide, sharp as can be.

Never had this problem with XP. Is there a solution?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LesF For This Useful Post:

kaybee (2014-03-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try looking for graphic driver updates for your graphic card.
    Or could buy a calibrator such as a Spyder4 unit which will adjust your monitor to best possible resolution.
    Or try playing with your monitor display adjustments.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-03-30 at 07:56.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I assume you ran the clear type tuner after you turned on clear type?

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    And I presume you're using an LCD (not CRT) monitor??

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    clive, I've set the monitor display adjustments for the most pleasing settings, using the NVidia control panel and the monitor brightness/contrast controls. I set the gamma using this website as a guide: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_c...mma-test-2.png.
    I don't think a calibrator such as Spyder addresses my issue.
    I'm using the driver that came with the computer (only a couple of months old), but I'm sure it's not the latest one. While I dont think this is a driver issue, I will probably get the latest from NVidia (although the updates are probably aimed toward Win 8, while my curent driver quite possible be better for Win 7).

jwitalka and Zig, yes and yes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't forget all fonts are not created equally either. I find some quite inconsistent while others are fine, even font size within the same font sometimes makes a big difference, as you may have alluded to a bit with your mention of small text.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N., I agree that some fonts look better than others, but in this case, I'm comparing what I see now in Win 7 (for any given font) with what I saw in Win XP, and the change is for the worse.

My display adapter on this machine is an NVIDIA GeForce GT620 with 2GB of RAM. On my XP machine, it was an NVIDIA GForce GT220 with 1GB of RAM. I shouldn't be seeing much difference between them, should I? Right now, I don't feel like putting the old adapter in this machine to verify whether the adapter is causing the difference, but I might have to, just to satisfy myself.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The only other thing I can think of is DPI, but I think differences there only translate to the screen as larger text since the screen dpi doesn't change if you're running native resolution throughout.

WindowBlinds or any skinning is more prone to odd text results than tried and true XP, but you're probably not running anything like that. Check your video cable I guess, though if using the same one and its secure, it's likely not the problem.

Other than that it probably is the card or the NVIDIA control panel or drivers. I have a card that works well on VGA connection and right next to awful on DVI so there can be oddities even on the same card.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N., it's only an issue with text, and it may just be my perception. Photos show up beautifully. Definitely not a cable issue.

I looked at the latest driver on the NVIDIA site, and upgrades are almost all related to gaming speed for selected games. I guess they're not dealing with my demographic when they make their mods. I won't be changing drivers.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    They get some delightful increases in performance when programming specifically for certain new games, like 40% gains! They also fix bugs here and there though too.

If is not perception alone and everything is working correctly, the only thing that I know that wanks up text but not photos is resolution; monitor not at native resolution or that native resolution is too low. For instance 1080P (1920x1080) is a decent resolution for photos and text, 720P (1366x768) on a screen of any larger size is still good for photos but not for text.

Maybe you've become too used to the higher small device resolution in some newer products now and you'll have to upgrade to one of those 2560x1440 Catleap monitors to get the same large screen clarity as some tablets and smart phones.

Thanks
    On a couple occasions, the text on my display has become slightly "off" as described by LesF. In each case I used the monitor controls to reset the monitor to factory defaults and the problem was fixed. I hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N., screen resolution for my monitor is 1280x1024, with a 4x5 format. I like this format (and I never watch movies on my computer), so I'm not gonna change monitors. It's difficult to find one with this format nowadays.

JC Zorkoff, already did that. Thanks for replying.

Playing around with the NVIDIA control panel settings improved the text a bit, but didn't fix the problems. Highlighting text (white text on a black background) accentuates the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

After scouring the web for solutions to this problem, I stumbled across this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=333998

Basically, it provided these instructions:

1. Click the start button (Microsoft Logo bottom left of screen)
    2. Type into the search box: appearance
    3. Click on the link that appears near the top ---> Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows
    4. Uncheck Smooth edges of screen fonts

Sure enough, this corrected the problem, without using ClearType and having to tolerate its associated color fringing.

Hope this helps someone else with similar problems.

Thanks
    Sounds like Windows 7 was doing some unnecessary "fixing" of something that wasn't broke.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some other unknown factor(s) involved here. I disabled smooth screen fonts on two different screens, two different Win7 OS systems and the text was distinctly more jagged and less legible on both. When I disabled the same setting in XP on one of the screens, the difference was much less discernible for whatever reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast