Thanks

Let's talk turkey about motherboards

Hi there,

I have found the "Windows Secrets Lounge" to be of enormouse benefit so far. I'm not sorry that I joined. Every time I pose a question, it is almost always answered with an avalanche of useful information. I still have tons of info to sort through from my previous questions. To say that I am getting a good computer education here would be an understatement. Now to get to my next problem:

My knowledge of motherboards is extremely basic at best. I have a spare computer that I bought a while back as a replacement for my old, worn and damaged XP HP computer. My intention is to simply take my hard drives out of my damaged machine and put them into the spare XP HP computer. I won't bore you with further details of that.

You might ask, why didn't I simply just get another motherboard that could do the trick and change those over? Well, I would have liked to have done that, but I know nothing really about motherboards. Oh, I know that they contain the
    CPU and also the electronics for external ports on a circuitboard, etc. That's all I really know. What I want to ask about motherboards is this:
    (i) How do I define/describe a motherboard to another person to tell them what I would require for my current computer needs?
    (ii) How easy are they to remove and install?
    (iii) What tools would I need?
    (iv) How easy are motherboards to obtain?
    (v) Are there generic motherboards available that would suit all my needs?
    (vi) What are the elements in a motherbaord?

That's all that comes to mind right now? If you can anticipate additional questions and answers, please include those in your responses.
    The key to wisdom is knowing all the right questions.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Thanks
    Motherboards are far more varied than hard drives are, and require somewhat more research when it comes to incorporating them into a whole system.

(ii) How easy are they to remove and install?
    Not too hard at all provided you've done the necessary research beforehand in making certain all your other components are going to be compatible.

(iii) What tools would I need?
    In most instances a star screwdriver is all that is needed, along with maybe an electrostatic protection device for the novice.

(v) Are there generic motherboards available that would suit all my needs?
    Maybe, but generics are usually very basic, and again, it will depend upon your specific needs.

(iv) How easy are motherboards to obtain?
    As easy as going to Newegg or a local brick and mortar shop.

(vi) What are the elements in a motherboard?
    This will require a more detailed discussion for which I'll try to come up with some links for you to read.

(i) How do I define/describe a motherboard to another person to tell them what I would require for my current computer needs?
    A detailed discussion of your specific needs will usually provide you with an abundance of motherboard choices.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-03-30)

Thanks
    Thank you once again, CLiNT. Your advice is always a great help. I'll look forward to seeing those links. Now for beheosua32xs. Thank you for your post. I'm sure that your input is also of great value, but, alas, I don't speak braille - not while I'm sober anyway. (That could be the subject of a future post maybe.) Could you please translate?
    Last edited by Ibex; 2013-03-30 at 23:04.

John A. Simone, Sr.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also if one is going to get a replacement motherboard these days, unless one is really up on what motherboards are compatible with which CPU's and which type of memory and speed rating will work, it's much safer and easier to buy a kit package that includes all three. Also, I haven't purchased any motherboards in a while now, the last one I did included drivers for XP, but I bet a certain unknown percentage of the newer motherboards no longer have XP drivers included; something else to keep in mind if shopping for an XP-based system build or rebuild.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-04-02)

Thanks
    Her are a few links to get you started:

HowStuffWorks: How Motherboards Work
    PCMAG: How to Buy a Motherboard
    How-to Geek: How to Pick the Right Motherboard for Your Custom-Built PC
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2013-04-02)

Thanks
    Thank you, CLiNT, for that info. I can tell that you go to great pains to assist people. Thanks too to F.U.N. downtown. I didn't actually know that there were kits available, though it makes sense for them to exist. What can you tell me about those kits? Things such as skill levels required, tools, cost, etc?

John A. Simone, Sr.

Thanks
    The kits can actually be pretty decent, and even better so if a deal comes up on something you like.
    Newegg and other places on the internet sell them and they are not hard to put together, especially since
    much of your compatibility issues are taken care of.

In most instances a star screwdriver is all that is needed, along with maybe an electrostatic protection device for the novice.

How to install a motherboard
    Watch a few dozen of these and you'll start to get the gist of it.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: