New Lounger
    Thanks

Another problem with non-destructive reinstall of Win7

I have searched the various threads that relate to Fred's July 14th 2011 article about carrying out a non-destructive reinstall of Win7 but cannot find anyone that has had the same problem as I seem to have when I try out the procedure. What is also a bit worrying is that the although the end result is always the same - the upgrade fails after a waste of about 3 hours - the actual events are slightly different.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio just under 2years old running Win7 Pro 64-bit with SP1 installed; it has an i5 2410M 2.3Ghz processor and 4Gb RAM with about 40% of the 500Gb free. For the last few weeks the system has become slower with extensive disk activity whenever it is switched on or it 'wakes-up'; so I thought it would be worth trying Fred's process. This was an OEM installation so I didn't have a Win7 DVD until I bought a new laptop for a new colleague and 'borrowed' the Win7 pro 64-bit DVD which has SP1 on it.

Everything happens as described by Fred until it gets to the 'transferring files, settings and programs' step. This is reached at around 2 hours in to the process and it has never successfully completed this step. The first time I tried the process I left it completely unattended and came back to find that the process had finished but that there was a message that the upgrade was unsuccessful. The second time I tried checking the machine regularly and did find that during the 'transferring files etc' step an error message flashed up for a split second and, eventually I was back where I was after the first attempt. I tried filming the screen to catch the message but my camera has a limit of 20 minutes for a single video file and I missed it! At this point I felt I have wasted enough time and gave up. However the slow down of the laptop has got worse and so I tried again over the Easter weekend.

In the past the compatibility check said that iTunes should be deauthorised which I did but this time I deleted it from the laptop just in case. I also knew what the timing of the process was from earlier experience so I did have by camera set up properly to record the last stage of the process. Again the upgrade fails during the 'transferring files' step. From the video I can see that this step was 62% complete and that it was transferring 557147 out of 737136. I can also see that before this point the counter was increasing by 200 every 10-15 seconds but once it reached 557147 it stuck at this point for about 3 minutes. The laptop then rebooted with the message that the reboot was to complete the upgrade. At reboot the message 'Press any key to boot from cd/DVD' appeared and, after pressing a key, I was asked to choose the OS and the default was 'Windows 7' with 'Windows Setup Rollback' as the other alternative or press F8 for advanced options. I selected Windows 7 and it appeared that further installation steps were taking place but then I saw a dialogue box to the effect that because the upgrade had been initiated from a DVD, the DVD had to be removed from the drive and the system rebooted from the hard drive. When I did this I was again asked to select the OS but this time it said that the upgrade had been unsuccessful and it was restoring the original installation.

SO I have spend about 15 hours trying this approach at it is clear referring to Fred's original article that I am experiencing a failure part way through because I do not reach the stages where he says that the laptop should reboot several times, checks video performance and asks for the product key. One time I believe that there was an error message but this did not happen the last time when I video'd the process.

So apart from knowing that there is a problem during the 'Transferring files' step I cannot identify what is causing the problem and therefore I have no idea how to change anything that will make the process work. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You could try to have a look at setup log files and see if there is any usable clue there. Log files can be found in the locations described here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Slowing down during the transferring of files could indicate a disk problem. You might want to run chkdsk /r on the drive to see if it can find and fix any errors.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your third attempt might have completed successfully if at reboot during the files and settings transfer you didn't press a key to boot from dvd. This just started the process all over again which is why you got the second message. I would try the process again and at reboot ignore the message and wait for the machine to boot from the hard drive and complete the installation.

I had a similar experience some time back and that was what caused it in my case anyway.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still have the problem

I tried the process again based on rlfvt (Rich)'s suggestion that perhaps it was allowing the system to re-boot from the DVD that had messed up my previous attempt. Given that Fred's original article had referred to the leaving the system to go through re-boots as required, I thought that maybe I should just leave it to run. Also it was getting late so I set everything up as before except that this time around it found no compatibility issues because I had deleted iTunes. This morning I found that the process was complete but when I pressed the spacebar to wake the system I got the message that the upgrade had failed and my original system had been restored. It also suggested that I check for compatibility on-line which I find strange given that the check it carried out before starting did not identify any issues. This time around I don't know where the process got to before it failed but I assume it was during the 'transferring files' step as before. Certainly it never gets as far as wanting the product key.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

In the time you have used to try non destructive install you could have done a completely clean install and re-installed all your programs.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.